Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame Jacobs tup - advice needed for novice owner  (Read 2473 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lame Jacobs tup - advice needed for novice owner
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 11:48:23 am »
One additional point - purple spray, waste of time I’m lead to believe, all the goodies were taken out a while ago. The new purple is in fact blue - Alamycin, we source from our local vet.

Not strictly true, IMO.

Purple sprays like Septicleanse are antibacterial and antifungal, and are useful in preventing infection - of wounds, and after foot trimming where no active infection was found, or a very mild case of scald.

Blue antibiotic sprays are effective at knocking out existing bacterial infections. 

I am as guilty as the next person of using the blue spray as a preventative (because it's always to hand and the small tin is easy to have in your kit bag), eg on shearing cuts, but personally I suspect that Septiclense would be more effective as a preventative, and certainly if it's not just bacteria you are concerned about.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 05:16:01 pm »
One additional point - purple spray, waste of time I’m lead to believe, all the goodies were taken out a while ago. The new purple is in fact blue - Alamycin, we source from our local vet.

Not strictly true, IMO.

Purple sprays like Septicleanse are antibacterial and antifungal, and are useful in preventing infection - of wounds, and after foot trimming where no active infection was found, or a very mild case of scald.

Blue antibiotic sprays are effective at knocking out existing bacterial infections. 

I am as guilty as the next person of using the blue spray as a preventative (because it's always to hand and the small tin is easy to have in your kit bag), eg on shearing cuts, but personally I suspect that Septiclense would be more effective as a preventative, and certainly if it's not just bacteria you are concerned about.
100% got told off by my vet for using blue spray as preventative she said nearly word for word what you said above

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 11:40:32 am »

Not strictly true, IMO.

Cheers Sally, always happy to be corrected

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 10:39:11 am »
Duckie 155 did a vet see the foot and what was the diagnosis ? hope he's getting better now  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS