Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Last Shepherds  (Read 3460 times)

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
The Last Shepherds
« on: August 09, 2020, 09:37:54 pm »
I obtained this DVD second-hand at a bargain basement price. It is, essentially, a compilation of a short television series that was produced by Tyne-Tees television in about 2002/3. I'd read the associated book (of the same name) by Charles Bowden and had thoroughly enjoyed it.

The DVD follows two shepherds (actually one is a shepherding couple, Stewart and Gwen, the other being Dave and older shepherd coming up to retirement) through the seasons in the Cheviots. It doesn't shy from the difficulties but thankfully it also shows the joy and pleasure to be derived from a simple, unalloyed life. I especially liked the sense of community between shepherd at gatherings, shows and annual dinners. The undertone of the film is whether we are witnessing the end of a way of life Covid-permitting I'll definitely take in the Alwinton show next year which is clearly a traditional, small though heavily sheep focussed agricultural show. It was shown in its best light in the programme.

All in all a really pleasant viewing and the scenery in all its stark beauty was splendid. Recommended. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS