Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flies are driving my cows crazy  (Read 1240 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Flies are driving my cows crazy
« on: July 30, 2020, 08:55:18 pm »
Can anyone recommend an effective fly treatment for my poor cows.

I have a Mole Valley Farmer or Wynnstay near me or I can buy online.

It is so easy with the sheep, buy the Clik and it deters flies so effectively but nothing I have tried seems to work with the cows.

Contemplating Spot-on next but not sure if that is any better than what I have previously used.

I have tried Battles fly repellent, Fly-pour, garlic bucket and even Naff off which is a fly spray for horses.

Would love to hear what you are personally use thats effective for you.

Thanks

Steph
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Flies are driving my cows crazy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 09:46:09 pm »
Spot-On works. 

I hate having to use it because of the environmental impact, but if you can't provide the cows with a habitat / shelter so that they can tolerate the flies then their welfare needs to come first. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS