Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dipping for scab  (Read 1713 times)

Scottym

• Joined Jul 2020
  • NP25 5QG
Dipping for scab
« on: July 25, 2020, 10:31:07 pm »
Does anyone dip their sheep to control scab? Or is it hard to find someone to come and do small numbers?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Dipping for scab
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 05:33:57 pm »
I would guess almost impossible plus you will have wait until they are in the area , just buy an injectable and you could have them treated by tomorrow night

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:12:40 pm »
I think someone on here (hopefully they will comment) had someone come out to dip and they were quite suprised with the cost. As others have said, something like Dectomax would do the job as well

Scottym

• Joined Jul 2020
  • NP25 5QG
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:33:44 pm »
Thanks, was under the impression that there was starting to be a resistant to anything other than dips.
Also wondered if it was a potential business opportunity but looking at the kit involved would be a huge outlay and all very large.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:55:38 pm »
You’re right there is starting to be resistance to injectables for scab. The instructions also need to be followed exactly for it to be totally effective too.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 07:57:01 am »

Also wondered if it was a potential business opportunity but looking at the kit involved would be a huge outlay and all very large.

I think you would have issues with the liquid from the dip too, disposal of it would be a massive headache, particularly with the quantities you would use

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS