Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hanging Turkeys  (Read 21760 times)

forcryingoutloud

• Joined Oct 2008
Hanging Turkeys
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:53:41 am »
Having read one of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's books he recommends hanging turkeys after killing "long Legged" for 7 days.  Has anyone any experience of doing this?  Does it not make the meat gamey.  I believe long legged means not pulled does it also mean not plucked.  So scared of hanging and ruining a good bird, but keen to make the most of the meat if the hanging does improve it.  Any advice gratefully received

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Hanging Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:57:34 am »
A freind of ours always hangs his 'complete' for 48 hours and says it really does improve the taste - makes it a stronger tasting flesh - he has never described it as gamey but then you are suggesting a longer time  of a  week so this may make a big difference.

I have never done this, never liked the idea of it really, and like you, a bit unsure of ruining a good bird.

Having said that, do the same priciples apply to a free range cockeral.  I don't want to appear to lesser its' value, but I have more of them, so could give the hanging thing a go if it is recommended for chooks.

Kate  :pig: :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

forcryingoutloud

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:30:31 am »
Well we bit the bullet and killed one of the turkeys last Monday to eat Sunday.  We hung it complete until Friday then lost our nerve and pulled it and put it in the Fridge, really looking forward to eating it Sunday at a dinner party we had arranged.  Friday night I went down with a gastric flu, the dinner party had to be cancelled and the poor turkey had to be put in the freezer, experiment ruined.  Oh well better luck next time.  I am sure it will still be great but freezing it I think spoils the meat a bit.  Will let you know.

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:12:26 pm »
I thought I'd resurrect this rather than starting a new topic.

Does anyone have any advice on hanging turkeys, I was looking at 5/6 days does this seem about right?

Cheers Mark

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:29:23 pm »
its warm. i would be careful.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:04:01 pm »
Where is it warm?  It's 7 C here.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:44:46 pm »
thats warm. you need under 5. or you may get a very gamey turkey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:06:45 pm »
Ah, I see.  Never tried hanging a turkey so just curious. Doesn't FEEL warm to me at 7C lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:30:50 pm »
I've never hung a Turkey but last year I tried Nigella's tip about soaking the bird in salt water for twenty four hours before cooking. It was very nice but i'm not sure that it wouldn't have been just as nice done in the conventional way.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 02:26:20 pm »
the brother in law does the same in coke. not sure i fancy risking a turkey doing it. the salt waters ment to make the dark meat cook as quick as the white but i don't know.

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:45:43 pm »
We always hang our birds for at least 48hrs if not longer, don't usually go over 7 days as not got a cooler to keep a steady temp. we hang them in a stable in a vermin proof pen, its always cool in their, we dry pluck when warm and eviscerate about 7 days for turkeys, so the 15th or 16th is D day for our lot. i have plucked a chicken a few days after killing, was really planning on skinning him but when i plucked a few feathers to make the incision they came out so easily i just continued, not tried that with a turkey though.

Mandy

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:52:03 am »

Well it's D-day here for Paxo, Santa, Noel and Tinsel. Have decided to kill today then hang until Monday when we are having everyone who is getting one along to pluck and clean their own birds, fortified with mulled wine and mince pies.
If it all goes ok I will do more next year as I have had loads of people seem keen on the idea.
Anne

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 02:54:01 pm »
i didnt bother hanging mine just killed it, plucked it, gutted it and stuck it in the fridge on Friday night. what kinda shelf life has a turkey in the fridge. was just wonder will he be ok to cook on thursday or should i stick him in the freezer.

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 06:31:23 am »
we also doing our turkeys from today we dont hang them all done today we did the same last year and every one who bought one said they were the best tasting birds they had had
sam

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:18:26 am »
I think its a big mistake not to hang them.  It does make such a difference to the taste.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS