Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Japanese knotweed removal company South Wales?  (Read 1715 times)

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Japanese knotweed removal company South Wales?
« on: July 12, 2020, 04:11:15 pm »
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good Japanese knotweed removal company in South wales? Would like an idea of likely price to remove a couple of small patches, but they're alongside a stream so I'm not qualified / willing to do it myself...

Thanks.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Japanese knotweed removal company South Wales?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:47:17 pm »
Do you actually mean remove (i.e. physically dig up and remove) or do you mean kill by chemical means [member=145259]sandspider[/member] ?

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 09:01:03 am »
Probably just kill, actually. I guess removing all the soil etc. would be a significant undertaking.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 10:05:32 am »
[member=145259]sandspider[/member]
UK wide comapany - found by googling
http://www.ecocontrol.co.uk/  but this one is in South Wales - found same way - https://www.taylor-weed-control.co.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 10:23:35 am »
Thanks Dojango, but I was hoping for personal recommendations over Google results... I'm in touch with one company I found, will check out Taylor's too.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 10:05:05 pm »
Where abouts are you? For example, in Saansea the local authority do it at cost price. Essentially they see it as preventative  to protect the surrounding areas. The prices were very competitive

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 07:25:19 am »
If you can get your hands on Gypsoate you can spray it and keep spraying any new growth and it should kill it - but may take a couple of years.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 09:50:27 am »
Thanks all.

I'm near Chepstow, and there doesn't seem to be any LA help that I can find.

The patch is next to a stream, so spraying isn't an option. Being next to a stream also means treatment isn't guaranteed, as more knotweed can and will wash down when the stream floods.

Perhaps I'll keep cutting and burning, and try a bit of stem injection towards the end of the season when the fluids are being drawn back down to the roots.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 12:18:47 pm »
I took this from an American page, so you would need to check with the Enviroment agency to see if it was legal in the UK

Glyphosate
Glyphosate is a herbicide that can be used in water and is used to kill aquatic plants such as water lilies and plants close to the shoreline like purple loosestrife. However, the herbicide must only be sprayed directly on the plant's leaves, according to the State of Washington Department of Ecology.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS