Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is maxi san ok for scald ?  (Read 2230 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Is maxi san ok for scald ?
« on: June 28, 2020, 07:11:33 pm »
One of my lambs has what I think is scald his foot is saw and a bit swollen iv cleaned it with a rag and salt water then sprayed it with maxi san an antbactarial stock spray will that be enough to cure it or do I need the teramicin spray?
    Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Is maxi san ok for scald ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 08:12:56 pm »
I’ve never heard of maxi san but a quick google shows this- a disinfectant? https://michem.co.za/product/maxi-san/    If so no, you need either a purple antibacterial spray from the local country store (I never had much luck with that stuff, it never really worked) but personally I’d get a can of blue antibiotic Terramycin spray from the vet. 1 spray of that should cure scald.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:31:10 pm »
Not a clue but foot scald is a bacterial infection . Scald is like athlete's foot in the early stages -moist peeling skin between the clee turning red and open later .  Sore and a bit swollen is not a recognisable  description, so might be more
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:35:37 pm by shep53 »

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 08:35:26 pm »
Nope that's not it !
It's been in the bottom of my ferreting bag for years ( incace dog cut him self or ferret met a rat ) all writing has rubbed off the tin I can read suitable for all live stock     foot wounds and topical treatments thats it ?? It's a white and orange tin I got it when i worked with pigs

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 08:37:10 pm »
Not a clue but foot scald is a bacterial infection . Scald is like athlete's foot in the early stages -moist peeling skin between the clee turning red and open later .  Sore and a bit swollen is not a recognisable  description, so might be more
Yep that's it moist slightly white pale in colour,  sorry I should of described it better

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 08:56:03 pm »
Even if you bought blue spray you should do it for at least 3 days, so see what happens with your product ??? :thumbsup: 

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:20 pm »
Thank you ! I will spray him again tomorrow and tuesday,  am I best to move them back to shorter grass just moved them in to new grazing on Friday

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:20:01 pm »
WHY you moved them for better grass etc ,so what are you going to do with the grass if not graze it , you take them off then then the grass gets less nutritious and next time you put them back it might happen again .If worried then put them through a foot bath , you might only get the one lamb or more ??

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 09:35:36 pm »
Next time you treat record the ear tag number or put a mark on it so that you will know if it repeats the problem in the future and can act accordingly , CULL

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 10:21:11 pm »
I only have the 4 lambs and all for the freezer I know witch one he is , I just read that the long grass might make it worse or is that a myth ? Sorry for all silly questions but am new to sheep

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 10:56:25 pm »
Long grass can irritate the skin and let the bacteria that causes scald and foot rot in. Although I’ve had shearlings on long grass this summer and not had any ill effects so far  :thinking: 

Moving sheep to fresh ground can help if multiple sheep have scald or foot rot. The bacteria lives in the soil and can survive for 2 weeks so sheep you’ve treated can be reinfected if turned back out into the same field. But for just the odd case I wouldn’t move them.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 08:30:39 am »
Ok thanks i will treat him for the 3 days and keep a close eye on the rest thank you

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 10:39:30 am »
So's not to get this totally out of proportion :innocent:  - you're quite right vfr400boy. It's most likely caused by the long grass which gets between the digits and using your spray will help, as would keeping the affected sheep on shorter grass for a bit till it dries out. Another tip is to put some ground lime down, where the sheep go as that helps dry the foot out and prevent any infection. But that's a bit difficult this time of year as they go anywhere when they're out on grass. What I have done in the past is put some powdered lime in a can with some water and make a paste and put the affected foot in it. If you spray the foot you'll need to keep it dry until the actual spray has dried or it'll just rub off again on the wet grass.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 12:50:08 pm »
A can of Terramycin spray lasts a long time, so a good investment to carry in your pocket when you check on the sheep anyway. Lambs and youngstock are more likeyl to get scald, and yes long grass when wet, will make it more likely to happen.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 07:09:52 pm »
Just done second treatment now and already looks loads better ! Looks alot dryer,
Can I only get terimicein form the vet or can I get it from bata ?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:06:05 pm by vfr400boy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS