Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spaying  (Read 5212 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Spaying
« on: August 16, 2020, 03:44:03 pm »
I have been trying to get Daisy spayed over the last few months. She came into season in March age 10 months and then went through weeks of thinking she was in pup which she was not. Never been mated. I phoned the vet again on Friday but not doing spayings yet but I could take her in for a check up. Not doing this. She is fit and well. Will be in season again soon I expect and then we have to wait another 3 months. In the meantime I am worried that she will go through the same thing all over again.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Spaying
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 04:13:22 pm »
You can help her if it happens again.  But to be honest it may not.   She's OK to be spayed up to a good old age, but preferably before 2 or 3.   But a bitch shouldn't be spayed before her first season anyway.

But if it does start, you can try distracting her with increased play and walks. While she's distracted you can remove any toys that she might have adopted as surrogate babies.

If she goes off her food offer tasty treats like cooked chicken or mince.

If she starts nesting give her newspaper to shred

If she was in season in March she's not due again until September at the earliest so you have time enough to get her booked in. Ideally 3 months after the last season to allow hormone levels to go down, but can be later than that.

Have you tried any other vets?  Mine have been doing operations for a month now.

If she's fit and well try not to worry too much.  I don't usually have my bitches spayed until they are about 4 or 5, some have been later but there is a risk of mammary tumours if left later as far as I've been told.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:14:53 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:00:10 pm »
When my greyhound went in for a dental three weeks ago there was a spey on the list so not all vets are refusing to do them at the moment.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 11:51:46 am »
Not tried other vets but often or not they will not take you on if you have been using another practice. I can't understand if they are fine with me taking her in for a general check up which to me is just as risky. With spaying she would be dropped of early morning and picked up evening so both quite times.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 11:06:59 am »
Well I would say if she was in season in March and she could come in again from September onwards you are better to wait until then and book her in at that point for December.

If she has a phantom again use the suggestions I've given you
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS