Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing a hand reared lamb of almost 12 weeks  (Read 1408 times)

Biscuit

• Joined Jun 2020
Introducing a hand reared lamb of almost 12 weeks
« on: June 25, 2020, 08:29:24 pm »
Hi. Ewe neglected her smallest twin. We left him overnight but he was weak the next day. She kept walking away each time he tried to feed. So, he came indoors with us and he has been a part of the family. I've slept on the sofa whilst he is on the floor!
The last 3/4 weeks, we have put him in the garden and enclosed chicken field but we've never really been far away. We've taken him onto the sheep's field but the main man rams him and the lamb stands his ground and rams back so we've had to do things slower than we'd like. We've finally reached the point were he isn't being attacked but he is pretty much ignored! Yesterday he was on the sheep's field but he sits by the gate alone, constant bleeting. We brought him in at night. Today he has done the same. Should I leave him overnight and just call that it now? He's been given bottles and then left so far.... Sorry about the long story, just thought it important to explain what preceded today....... It's late, sorry, just heartbreaking to watch him. Just hoping someone is around. Thanks so much

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Introducing a hand reared lamb of almost 12 weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 10:08:46 am »
He needs a lamb friend of his own. Can you try and find another lamb about the same age, make a pen in the field for them. He needs to learn to be a sheep.

Biscuit

• Joined Jun 2020
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:57:47 am »
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately no. I only have a small holding, all other lambs are with mum's. We have stayed on the field with him prior and followed the herd to show him. We've left the field from a different gate so he doesn't remain at the usual one but it's still not made a difference. He will hop and skip with us but shows not interest in joining other lambs when they have their mad half hour! I've walked the field with him for hours this morning but the minute I edge away, he's there by my side!! He's again by the gate , though not bleating quite as much! Really at a loss!! ????

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »
My pet lambs get turfed out after weaning with the rest and for the first few days bleat and run towards you but after that they learn to be sheep again and mingle with the rest of the ewes and lambs. That said they do have friends- this year I had 9 to rear artificially so they are a little lamb crew. Problem is he has imprinted on you big time so you need to get him to learn to be a sheep again. So either I would turn him out with the rest and stop going out to him as often, or I would get him a lamb friend that he can get to know in the shed and then go out to the field with a buddy.

Biscuit

• Joined Jun 2020
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 12:53:40 pm »
Thanks Twizzle. I have stayed away since this morning. He's still alone by the gate but quieter. Cruel to be kind eh?! Thanks again and fingers crossed he mingles soon! ????

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 06:23:00 pm »
I've got one about the same age and now that he's weaned have just put him in with some older ewes that haven't got lambs. They ignore him but he sits with them. He used to follow me round when I went to the buildings, begging for a bottle. But now he's a lot more settled. Doesn't try to escape from the field to follow me round now, but he still runs up to me and jumps up whenever I go in the field. I usually stroke him and talk to him but he now knows he's not getting a bottle and then wanders off. So they do get over it and he'd have to be weaned sometime anyway.  Like you said - got to be cruel to be kind.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:17:53 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Biscuit

• Joined Jun 2020
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:04:28 pm »
That's reassuring, thank you. He is starting to wander now but remains at the gate!! I'm really trying to hold back. I know if it's not now, it will be harder next time, so standing firm. Thanks everyone, much appreciated ????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS