Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Headstock ?  (Read 1020 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Headstock ?
« on: June 25, 2020, 05:59:14 pm »
Anyone use a headstock to steady a sheep for treatment, dagging, clipping etc?

I've been hand clipping our hoggs, and some of them stand (in a small pen) with no restraint at all, which is lovely, but the two today both had to be haltered and both hated it.  I've a friend who uses a headstock for hers, anyone else use one, or any other solutions?

(My back is not up to the conventional method of restraining and bending over them, I can't always even manage to do their bellies these days :'(  But if they stand for clipping, then I am usually still fit enough to manage to turn them over and clip the bits of the belly I couldn't reach from the side.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Headstock ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:51:32 pm »
I use one.  Far easier than taking halters on and off and they do not seem to fight it the same.  I use a folded towel over it so the sheeps head does not drop down between the forward pointing arms.

Appletree

• Joined May 2020
Re: Headstock ?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 06:52:25 pm »
We use a lifting trimming stand (the sort with a winch). Much kinder on the back and the sheep don’t seem to mind.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS