Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New member on a new adventure  (Read 920 times)

LivinghistorianAaron91

• Joined Jun 2020
New member on a new adventure
« on: June 22, 2020, 06:15:56 pm »
Hello everyone,

My name is Aaron and I am 28 years old (29 later this year). My partner who is mentally disabled and I are looking to move out of our one bed rented property in the Rhondda Valley, South Wales where we keep 12 hens and 1 cockerel and make a little money on the side selling free range eggs and the odd bit of left over fruit and vegetables from our small kitchen garden.

We are both in receipt of benefits which is our everyday income and we would like to make the leap into running our own smallholding.

We would like to find someone in South Wales where we could both settle down and initially rent or rent to buy. 

I am a keen amateur historian and would like to grow heritage, rare and heirloom varieties of fruit and vegetables from throughout history as well as keen chickens and possibly other livestock again rare and heritage breeds using organic and sustainable principles and methods.

I believe in helping others learn where our food comes from not only our meat but also the history behind everything we grow, etc.

I have also had my family history researched for me and I have discovered that I have 2 5th Great-Grandfathers, a 3rd Great-Grandfather and a 2nd Great-Grandfather who were all involved in agriculture, one of them was a farmer and the others were agricultural farm labourers, so I like to think I have some form of farmers blood in me.

My partner and I love the outdoors, hard work and animals.

My partner has a number of traditional skills and qualifications including basketry/Willow Work, Iron Age Forging, Bronze Tool Casting, Woodland Management, Woodland Kitchen, Clay Work, Meteorology, Bow-Making, Glass Blowing and Food Hygiene.

I have skills and qualifications in Door Supervision, Hairdressing, Barbering, Carpentry and Joinery, basic Brickwork and Plastering, Online Food Allergy, Food Hygiene, Non Technical Skills in Farming and Mental Health in Agriculture.

We hope and aim to put our skills and qualifications to good use and as well as running a smallholding we would look to diversify and produce a number of products and services using our skills.

I do hope this gives you all some background and a good introduction to myself, my partner and our hopes and plans.

Thank you.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: New member on a new adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 10:50:13 pm »
Hi Aaron - not sure how we all missed your interesting introduction, but may I offer a belated welcome to the forum.  You and your partner make me feel VERY un-skilled and I look forward to hearing much more from you.  The very best of luck with your search for somewhere to get started with a small-holding.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:03:31 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 11:09:02 pm »
Hi Aaron - it sounds as if the pair of you are bursting with potential  :thumbsup:   Best of luck finding your ideal home and land, and welcome to TAS.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 09:49:45 am »
 :wave: and welcome to TAS. What a great introduction! Hope you find what you are looking for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS