Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone fancy taking their goats for a walk in the local country park?  (Read 154 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
OK, I thought that title would get your attention!  Before I receive a deluge or responses about CPH numbers, movement notifications and biosecurity, I know... but apparently not everyone does. 

Those of you on FaceBook may have seen the recent story of multiple visitors to Levens Hall in the Lake District reporting the apparent theft of 2 rare breed Bagots.  For those of you interested, who didn't see it you can see the full thread on this link: https://www.facebook.com/LevensHall/posts/3156921224370941

The original post read "Two men in their early 40s were seen leaving Levens Deer Park at about 4pm today, each carrying a rare breed Bagot goat. The men had their other halves with them, one of whom was pushing a pram. They drove off with the goats in a white hatchback but unfortunately the witness couldn't see the number plate as he had moved through the traffic lights at Levens Bridge.

They exited Levens Park on the north side, which means they must have crossed the river with the goats, because the goats never cross over away from their territory on the other side...."

Fortunately, another visitor to the park had taken a photo (you can see them on this link and in the comments) and it was established that the goats weren't rare breed Bagots at all, but likely Saanen type!  Apparently someone had challenged them at the time and been informed that they had taken their kids to the park for a day out!!!

This led to an update post the following day that started off "Thank you to the many, many people who contacted us to say that they had seen two men taking Bagot goats from Levens Deer Park. It really is wonderful to know that so many of you take such an interest in this stunning Park. However, we have now managed to establish that, in actual fact, the goats were not Bagot goats, but incredibly, were pet goats, bought by car on a day's excursion to Levens Park! ..."  https://www.facebook.com/LevensHall/photos/a.168072109922549/3158595497536847/?type=3&theater

The authorities were informed but "do not have any further information to be able to trace the goat owners & educate them".  I would have thought, given the current "pandemic" and the historic Foot & Mouth outbreak where this area was so badly affected, that people may have been a bit more aware of biosecurity but apparently not.  Given that the goat in the picture isn't tagged and was taken out for a "day trip" to someone else's holding there have to be concerns for the welfare of these animals - do they have suitable habitat at home?  Are they getting the correct diet?  How many other premises are they potentially contaminating on a daily basis?  That's before you get to the question of how 4 adults, 2 goats and at least one baby plus the pram etc fitted safely into a hatchback!!!

I've attached the pictures for information.  If anyone knows who these people are, or can spread the message to help to identify them in order that the local authority can get in touch with them to ensure the safety and welfare of the animals concerned then please do help.  Information can be passed to Levens Hall - the contact details are on the Facebook Page I shared earlier, or to: Will Hayhurst, Regulation & Compliance Officer, Trading Standards, Cumbria County Council (t 01539 713594; m 07974 327122; f 01539 713592; e will.hayhurst@cumbria.gov.uk).
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Free Goat Keeping Course - Palacerigg Country Park (North Lanarkshire) 25th June 6pm

Started by Scarlet.Dragon

Replies: 2
Views: 1201
Last post June 09, 2015, 11:10:52 pm
by Scarlet.Dragon
Escape to the country, my goats.

Started by plumseverywhere

Replies: 35
Views: 9114
Last post December 04, 2011, 10:29:22 pm
by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley
Goats - escape to the country

Started by plumseverywhere

Replies: 18
Views: 4506
Last post July 11, 2012, 11:32:40 pm
by SallyintNorth
The Boys had their first walk on the lead.

Started by NormandyMary

Replies: 2
Views: 1177
Last post May 07, 2011, 06:01:14 pm
by NormandyMary
Goat struggling to walk

Started by Medi-K

Replies: 5
Views: 1640
Last post April 01, 2015, 08:44:34 pm
by Anke

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS