Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strawberry Timescales?  (Read 3340 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Strawberry Timescales?
« on: June 21, 2020, 03:24:21 pm »
We planted a strawberry plant late last year that my wife bought for £1 from the local school at the end of term. It had two runners on it and we let it do it's thing over winter. Well i now have about 40 plants :)

There was a flurry of flowers about 3 weeks ago with the odd one still appearing. My question is. Roughly when should i expect fruit? I have no idea what breed of plant it is.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Strawberry Timescales?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 03:58:05 pm »
Beechgrove Garden last week said 4 weeks from flowers appearing. Hope they are right - waiting patiently with  :fc: :fc:

They need full sun, plenty water, and protection undermeath from slugs etc and above from birds,and easy access for you to eat them  :innocent: :eyelashes:.     Mine are in big pots either side of the back door  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:00:01 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 04:04:08 pm »
Well they are getting on 4 weeks now and i cannot see any fruit growing. Plenty of the centres of the flower heads where the petals have come off.
They are netted though. I've learned about birds stealing fruit with my blackcurrant plants :(
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 04:21:36 pm »
Well they are getting on 4 weeks now and i cannot see any fruit growing. Plenty of the centres of the flower heads where the petals have come off.
They are netted though. I've learned about birds stealing fruit with my blackcurrant plants :(
The centres will swell up soon, but might take a wee while if the wind blew the petals off prematurely.  that hppened with some of mine so I have varying sizes.  They do need sun now though. - and rememeber to remove suckers and the largest leaves
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 11:44:06 pm »
Strawberry flowers can be damaged by frost so no, or misshapen fruits develop. Indoors, they may not get pollinated.  Our indoor ones have been and gone  :yum:  and the outside ones have small green fruits on which are swelling rapidly.
Given Womble's famous non fruiting blueberries, are you sure the plant you bought is a strawberry and not a buttercup  :coat: .  Buttercups love to grow amongst strawberries for the pure joy of misleading humans! They look very similar.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 06:46:41 pm »
My strawberry crop has been late this year. I have been collecting them for about 2wks and at last getting a few pounds each day. Decent size fruit. I have a bed in the veg plot and a bed in the pollytunnel. Both been slow.

SabineLove33

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 11:21:04 am »

Hi,

I love strawberry’s so I tried to grow them in Flower pots at my balcony. I got some fruits but not a lot. Maybe the birds were faster than I was.
I will try it again next here. Some tips from here will help me for sure. Until than I have to wait and hope the strawberry free winter will be over soon.  ;D
I know it did not even start but I already looking forward for my own strawberries next year so much.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS