Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shared smallholding?  (Read 1434 times)

abel magwich

• Joined Jun 2020
shared smallholding?
« on: June 18, 2020, 12:58:15 pm »
Hi,
 My wife and self are retirees.We dont feel able to manage a small holding on our own but would like to find a partner(s) to share cost/work/admin etc

We are based in London but lived in Devon for 8yr and loved it there. Also interested in south wales or norfolk
Looking for minimal accommodation and modest holding
Regards raymond and betty

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: shared smallholding?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:38:03 pm »
Hi abel magwich (raymond and betty), welcome to the forum.

Along the way, there have been folk posting on TAS without the where-with-all to start up on their own so I hope you will find some partners.  Obviously starting up in partnership will require a very legalistic start to your 'relationship' (setting who owns what, who does what, who gets what etc etc etc),  but anything is possible.  Since you are not fixated on starting out in just one particular place, hopefully you will find some potential partners more easily - good luck. 
(Other TAS members might be able to suggest additional sites/places to advertise your interest in a shared small-holding ?)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:20:04 pm by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:10:40 pm »
What about cohousing?  We have 20+ adults and 10 kids here, sharing a 32 acre holding in North Cornwall's AONB.  We keep cows for milk and meat, sheep for meat and fleece, pigs, ducks, chickens, and grow a lot of our own salad, veg and fruit.  We currently have space for one more adult or couple with modest needs (the available property is a small flat.) 

Our website is somewhat in flux at the mo but if you think you might be interested, have a look at the info on there.  www.trelay.org.

ETA Oh, and for looking for partners... Facebook's Diggers and Dreamers is a good place to start.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

abel magwich

• Joined Jun 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 04:07:25 pm »
Thanks Sally.
love the website.Food(vegetarian) for thought.......I would welcome a bit more info on glamping... Regards Raymond

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 04:14:00 pm »
Thanks Sally.
love the website.Food(vegetarian) for thought.......I would welcome a bit more info on glamping... Regards Raymond

Thanks for the feedback!

The couple who set up our campsite are in fact moving on (to live in a broad-beamed - not narrow - boat on the canals) and the group who are taking the campsite over have not really worked out how they want to take it forward yet.  Just being open will be a big step, in this crazy year!  lol.  So watch this space (and the associated web and FB spaces ;) )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS