Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel Box  (Read 4659 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Cockerel Box
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2020, 09:15:59 am »
I would get attached to that CL cockerel as a calm temperament is worth a lot  :)  Unless you’ll be breeding endless generations, a little bit of interbreeding is not a problem, plus I’m very wary of getting external stock in as years ago, when I first started with chickens, I once bought CLs with Marek’s Disease which was an utter nightmare for several years, it’s such a cruel disease.

Our cockerel has 2 daughters in with him, they’re our only meat birds left (because his two half sisters have passed away), they’re very gentle and sons are really late to crow, all offspring (all destined for the kitchen) is excellent and their weight traits are very predictable.
We haven’t done several generation off them, though, your plans may be different.

There used to be a old chap trading as Castle Farm who some on here may remember, he bred endless generations very successfully and had some closely related birds, he always said that that way he knew what he was getting. You could take it too far, if course, but unless you’re starting a poultry empire you’ll probably be ok keeping your own well tempered and disease-free young lad. You may change breeds later on and get fresh blood in then if they can be sourced from a clean seller.

Go on, give him a name  ;) 

Admittedly, my CL boys were early to crow, though, so those boys you’ll hatch...maybe name them after the neighbours, they’ll taste even better!  :roflanim:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Cockerel Box
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 11:59:27 am »
Oh and I had read about the cockerel collar but thanks for mentioning it hillbilly. I am just not convinced it is kind for the bird. I would rather reduce the noise than forcefully change the natural behaviour I think.
I agree, not something I would do, but others have and seemed happy to use it.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS