Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Lamb Coughing  (Read 1944 times)

JadeL

• Joined Jun 2020
New Lamb Coughing
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:39:47 pm »
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me!

I’ve just bought 3 wether lambs that came at the weekend.
I noticed the day after that one was coughing but soon got over it and haven’t heard anything since.

Today I’ve been doing some paddock maintenance and noticed he was coughing and sneezing but very infrequently.

I’ve been told by the seller that they were born Feb, have had their 2nd Heptavac and were wormed 6 weeks ago (I am going to worm them this week)

All eating (big appetites) and no other problems I can see. Neither of the other two have a cough.

Any ideas? Should I call a vet?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: New Lamb Coughing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 08:04:45 am »
Why are you going to worm them again? Is it because the seller told you to do it or have they actually got worms? A lot of old school farmers worm their sheep far too often and have resistance problems with the different types of worm drenches because of it. You should take a poo sample from them and ask the vet to do an egg count, then only worm if the vet advises.

Your lambs could have a touch of pneumonia so it might be worth the vet coming to see them (and you can talk about worms to them too!) it could equally be nothing to worry about but best to get checked out as moving is stressful on them.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 08:40:10 am »
If it is eating well, ears up and happy I would just monitor the cough at the moment.  Any loss of appetite or ears drooping then take to the vet.  A phone call to the vet about egg counts and cough is cheap as long as you are registered with them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:34:21 am »
If it is eating well, ears up and happy I would just monitor the cough at the moment.  Any loss of appetite or ears drooping then take to the vet.  A phone call to the vet about egg counts and cough is cheap as long as you are registered with them.

And if you have livestock you must be registered with a vet.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 07:09:24 pm »

And if you have livestock you must be registered with a vet.
A very new livestock owner may not yet be registered.  The sheep only arrived at the weekend.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS