Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: highline hens  (Read 4696 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
highline hens
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:53:23 pm »
11 highlines laying and 5 isa browns can split, highlines 20-24 weeks isas 10 months 12 at most. due to council Ive decided to move them on. £5 each. Fife

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:01:46 pm by woodlandproductsfife »
Craig

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
Re: highline hens
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:20:54 am »
Someone complaining about them Craig ?

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:24 pm »
oh I'm so tempted as I'm currently getting one egg every other day from a potential 10 laying hens!
Think hubby would divorce me though! ;D
Hmmm, I'm still tempted! ;D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:07:44 pm »
sorry, wish i could help, but a few sudden deaths have put me on lock down, nothing in nothing out

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:10 pm »
not to sure Davey, they said they were round looking at a property and seen them, they ain't forcing the issue but would just make for an easier life till I get moved to some where more suitable. I bloody paid £12.50 each for the Isa browns and traveled 300miles to get them. Ive got some experience of keeping them now and thats what it were all about. quicker I find some land the better. then I can get my flock of 250 plus. I will really miss them and so will the neighbours. The last thing I want is the council breathing down my neck, their a law unto them self's. Although she said I didn't have to get them away, its the start of the grief. everyone loves them to. all the kids come up from school and in to see them. its bizarre all the neighbours feed them and look after them. Its such a shame.
Craig

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:28:07 am »
Craig,
Providing there's nothing in the deeds/lease agreement to prohibit you keeping chickens I don't think there's anything the council can do about it.
If your neighbours don't mind (and haven't complained) and you're keeping them as clean and non-smelly as possible to reduce 'pests' there really shouldn't be an issue.
I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of them unless they told me IN WRITING to move them on, and even then, I'd fight them on it. LOADS of people keep chickens in their gardens  ;)
HTH
Karen

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:41:07 am »
Craig,
I agree with Karen, if all your neighbours are happy for you to keep chickens, then just keep them :)
If/when the council do actually complain, then do something about it ;)
Hope you find what you're looking for soon. :)

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
What ^^^^ said    :D

I'm in a 3 bed house in the middle of a scheme & i've not had any bother from the council...... even our old housing officer was asking about our hens just last week.

I wouldn't move them on until the council made an issue out of something.... our lot are fantastic at that   ;)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:51:30 pm »
 Bigbrother is watching you its not right, to hell with them keep your chooks till they say otherwise. Your neighbours sound great and you obviously were meant to look after them. cheers all the best.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:21 pm »
little update, Have decided to keep 6 and the other 11 are away on wednesday, the kids were so upset.!!!!!
Craig

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS