Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Howard 300 Clutch Brake Question Please.  (Read 4281 times)

oniongrower

• Joined Jun 2020
  • Staffordshire
Howard 300 Clutch Brake Question Please.
« on: June 13, 2020, 07:35:15 am »
Hello

We aquired a Howard 300 that had a old Kohler k91 engine on it. Sadly the engine was a non runner so we have temp swapped the engine for a Honda 5.5hp (saved the old Kohler K91 for a restoration project to be added back when fully working)

We are having a problem with the Clutch cone. When the clutch is engadged it is not stopping the main (BIG) pullr from turning so we cannot change or engage the gears. I would like to know please should there be a brake disk on the clutch and if yes where would or should (I think it is missing if there is one) it be located.

Thank you kindly in advance for your time and assistance.
Oniongrower
Staffordshire

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Howard 300 Clutch Brake Question Please.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 11:32:08 am »
[member=203244]oniongrower[/member] - pfa diagram from service manual showing a clutch brake.   BUT also attached is pic of my 300 which clearly doesn't have a brake as per the diagram.   ???   Neither does the operating arm have drillings for clutch brake fixing/adjustment bolts so right at this moment I'm a bit uncertain about what's what and how it all works! 
[member=28519]cloddopper[/member]  &  [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member]  &  [member=170281]Kevm[/member] - any thoughts/advice please ?

(My 300 is elsewhere awaiting some repairs so I can't eyeball it.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 01:00:36 pm by arobwk »

oniongrower

• Joined Jun 2020
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 01:27:47 pm »
Thanks for the reply arobwk and the images.

I am at a complete loss on where a brake disk would go on a 300 as all the images and diagrams do not show a brake disk and its location. The above image of the brake arm and pad is from the Howard 350. The bottom image is like to Howard 300 we have which came with the non running Kohler k91 engine.

I will look forward to hearing from anyone who can further shed light on the location of the brake pad for the Earlier howard 300.

Thanks all again in advance.
Oniongrower

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 01:58:40 pm »
I'm sure you are right oniongrower, but the service/repair manual I downloaded from allotment-garden.org says it's for both the 300 & 350. Clearly that manual is not differentiating sufficiently between models regarding clutch mechanism/s. 
Like you, hoping more knowledgeable folk might be able to offer advice, but if you have a 300 specific manual of any kind (i.e. a 300 User or Service manual) I should be most grateful for a copy if it's been converted into an electronic form (pdf or whatever).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 03:48:33 pm by arobwk »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 03:40:00 pm »
Cone clutch... have the friction surfaces seized together through lack of use ? ( like a trailers brakes binding )
or is the adjustment been done up too tight ? what happens if you start in gear and rev it up and down with the clutch engaged ?

Kevm

• Joined Apr 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 04:26:19 pm »
All the 300s and 350s I have seen have the same clutch, an internal cone clutch with an external cone/taper that a little brake pad on the clutch arm bears on when you pull the clutch all the way in.
It's very cruel on the gears if it's not adjusted right.
Never mind the Honda sort the Kohler and put that back on it's a better engine.
Attached pic of mine.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 06:50:23 pm »
Thanks Kevm.  And while various diagrams I've seen (supposedly depicting both 300 and 350 machines with cone clutch) show a clutch brake arrangement with drilled operating arm etc to take fixing/adjustment bolts (as per your pic), the plethora of photographs I've found ont' web of the 300 model show a clutch operating arm without a clutch brake and without drilled holes in the operating arm!  All a bit confusing, but maybe it comes down to machine serial numbers.  I am, therefore, drawn back to Rtb's post/query about whether friction surfaces have seized up on oniongrower's 300 model. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 07:32:46 pm by arobwk »

Kevm

• Joined Apr 2017
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 10:35:41 pm »
Very easy to check, just pull the clutch in with the engine stopped and see if you can turn the pulley

oniongrower

• Joined Jun 2020
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 03:03:18 am »
Thank you all for your replies it is most appreciated.

[member=170281]Kevm[/member] The picture you have included of the nose cone clutch is the Howard 350 setup with the Brake arm. The early Howard 300 with the Kohler K91 engines did not have that type of setup. Also yes we are intending to get the Kohler K91 working again. It is a project we are slowly getting around to.

[member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member]  Your post could make sense and something we will need to look at. The Rotavator had been sitting doing nothing for a long time so the friction surfaces might have seized together. I will report back when we have tried what you have suggested.

Again thank you all for your information.
Oniongrower

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 11:17:06 pm »
How's it going with your Howard 300 [member=203244]oniongrower[/member] ?

My Howard 300, with the K91 and originally without a clutch brake, now has a rebuilt K91 AND a clutch brake!  :)
Brother, who has stripped everything and put back to working order (a "right task" in the event - and not exactly cheap) was finding clutch release issues - much like yourself possibly.  So he manufactured a clutch brake saving me £39 on buying an original brake arm - obviously the clutch operating arm still had to be drilled to accommodate. (I've posted pics elsewhere ont' forum.)
"Howie" was ready to dig dirt once again this Monday, but weather was against that.  In mean time bro' says he has come up with an idea for a "fully adjustable spring-loaded brake" and has postponed any handover (regardless of weather). I await details of his further upgrade (invention) with great interest.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 11:28:15 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 11:34:04 pm »
Update on the spring-loaded clutch brake is on my other Howard related thread.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:42:20 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS