Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New here - trying to find out about Cockerel Velcro Collars?  (Read 2415 times)

Akelahbc

• Joined Jun 2020
Hi Guys,  I'm new here - its my dream to run a smallholding full time - but will never happen now due to health issues, but I now have a bit of land and had to end up getting day old bantum chicks as I haven't been able to find older ones for sale.  Obviously i'll have boys out of the 7 I've got, and at sometime in the future they'll start to crow!  Technically I can't keep cockerels here because of the noise - landlords rules, but I've heard about velcro collars that prevent the boys fully inflating their lungs to make a BIG noise - (You tube in USA!)  My question is - is it legal in the UK?  I can't see it causing problems as it needs to be snug but not tight - like a dog's collar.  it can still crow but not loudly!  Welcome all responses - either what you do - or even what you know others do ;) !! 
It'll be kinder than wringing necks!! 
Thank you
Akelahbc

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: New here - trying to find out about Cockerel Velcro Collars?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:26:23 pm »
Hello and Welcome to TAS  :wave:

If you enter "Cockerel Collars" into the Search function of this site (It's between "Help" and "Profile" on the dark green menu bar) you will find a long conversation about the topic. The collars appear to be legal and I think there are details about a British supplier.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:23:18 pm »
Yes, they've been discussed a few times on TAS.

It's just a risky thing to google, that's all!  ::) :o
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:43:08 pm »

Yes, they've been discussed a few times on TAS.

It's just a risky thing to google, that's all!  ::) :o

:roflanim: :roflanim:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 10:40:28 pm »
Hi Guys,  I'm new here - its my dream to run a smallholding full time - but will never happen now due to health issues, but I now have a bit of land and had to end up getting day old bantum chicks as I haven't been able to find older ones for sale.  Obviously i'll have boys out of the 7 I've got, and at sometime in the future they'll start to crow!  Technically I can't keep cockerels here because of the noise - landlords rules, but I've heard about velcro collars that prevent the boys fully inflating their lungs to make a BIG noise - (You tube in USA!)  My question is - is it legal in the UK?  I can't see it causing problems as it needs to be snug but not tight - like a dog's collar.  it can still crow but not loudly!  Welcome all responses - either what you do - or even what you know others do ;) !! 
It'll be kinder than wringing necks!! 
Thank you
Akelahbc
My advice is if you want to breed poultry but don't (or cant) have noise then get MUSCOVY ducks! Your neighbours won't even know you have them!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS