Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barbed wire  (Read 3138 times)

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
Barbed wire
« on: June 08, 2020, 08:43:17 pm »
What’s the best type of gloves to use when handing barbed wire. Got some fence repairs that need doing.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Barbed wire
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 10:17:18 pm »
Strong ones.

I wear leather ones.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:01 pm »
Untried on barbed wire, but Screwfix's leather "driver's" gloves (orangey coloured) are quite good/thick enough for handling brambles and dog roses without concern.  They are in-expensive (about £6 I think) and definitely worth a try I would say.

(I use even thicker welders' gloves for anything with needle-like spines - e.g. berberis shrub - but they are probably unnecessary for barbed wire and they make hand movements a bit cumbersome.)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:40:49 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:09:38 am »
We replaced all our barbed wire with plain.  It's such hateful stuff, injures animals and humans alike and doesn't stop jumpers, just damages them. Having had one dog rip her tummy open twice, we decided enough was enough.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 04:31:36 pm »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:33:14 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:21:22 pm »
We replaced all our barbed wire with plain.  It's such hateful stuff, injures animals and humans alike and doesn't stop jumpers, just damages them. Having had one dog rip her tummy open twice, we decided enough was enough.

But it does stop cattle rubbing hedges  :innocent:  and it’s a lot cheaper than stock fence

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »
Quite agree
A friend of mine ran 2 miles to the vet with his munsterlander bitch in his arms that was wrapped up in barbed wire that had sprung off the fence. She died just as he got there.
I HATE it with a passion
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 10:17:20 pm »
Hide gardening gloves.  This type https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-split-cowhide-leather-driver-gloves-brown-large/23256
Yep, those are the ones I was referring to.

I am, however, thinking about all the anti-barbed comments now.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 11:58:38 pm »

But it does stop cattle rubbing hedges  :innocent:  and it’s a lot cheaper than stock fence

Rubbing?  Our neighbour's cows used to hop right over the barbed wire to start pulling out our hedging when it was small, then they hopped right out again when they saw me coming. He put up a couple of extra (plain) wires above the normal height stock fence (shared costs) and the cattle don't touch our hedge now, even though it's about 8 feet high and bushy. A bit more expensive than barbed wire, but so much kinder.  I suppose though it's the Marmite of the fencing world - you either love the stuff or hate it.  I hate it!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 11:50:39 am »

Rubbing?  Our neighbour's cows used to hop right over the barbed wire to start pulling out our hedging when it was small, then they hopped right out again when they saw me coming. He put up a couple of extra (plain) wires above the normal height stock fence (shared costs) and the cattle don't touch our hedge now, even though it's about 8 feet high and bushy. A bit more expensive than barbed wire, but so much kinder.  I suppose though it's the Marmite of the fencing world - you either love the stuff or hate it.  I hate it!

If we turn our cows out into a field with no fence, just a stone hedge, they will find a bit with some bare soil and rub it till the hedge falls down (our hedges are stone on lower/laid to hedge on top). 2 strands of barbed wire job done. Stock fencing 150 acres not economically viable so our grazing fields are a mix of 2-3 strand barbed wire or 1 strand of electric galv wire.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 02:36:35 pm »
Hide gardening gloves.  This type https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-split-cowhide-leather-driver-gloves-brown-large/23256
Yep, those are the ones I was referring to.

I am, however, thinking about all the anti-barbed comments now.

Would plain wire do the job?
I keep having to remind myself to really look at the least "mean" option. Why make something nasty and spikey (for us as well as the livestock and wildlife) if it doesn't need to be?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 07:02:11 pm »
Because they will lean all their weight on plain wire and it won't take it.  Barbs stop them putting all their weight on it.  (Although not, apparently, if you are a Fell Pony.  My two can judge exactly how to approach the fence in order to still reach over it ::) )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS