Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walnut trees and goats  (Read 3570 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Walnut trees and goats
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:31:20 am »
Would a goat ruin our Walnut trees that are about 15 years old?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Walnut trees and goats
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:33:43 am »
Probably. They like bark and will eat leaves, twigs they can reach. Better be safe a than sorry. Fence; but not so sturdy they can stand on it! I had a big weather that could spring up onto and balance on a strainer post.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:33:11 am »
They will only eat bark in winter unless you put something like chicken wire around it. They will definitely ear all the leaves and brake branches upto around 2 metres height.
Even 2 month old goat know exactly what to do. They bend the young trees to get to the crown and eat every single leaf!
If your trees are taller than 2-3 metres and thick enough that when a goat stands against it and it doesnt snap or bend you should be fine. My goats snapped some of my young fruit trees - almond, apples, pear, they wear really trying hard to get to the sweet chestnut but I protected it with a barrier made of 4 pallets ????
If the tree is tall enough that should be fine, but beware If you have young trees that are not taller than a goat standing on two legs (2 metres!) They will still finish all the leaves that they can reach. Very very naughty.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:36:46 pm »
Isn't walnut one of the few trees that you shouldn't have in your goats' field? As in the leaves and bark a poisonous to ruminants?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 12:51:02 pm »
Isn't walnut one of the few trees that you shouldn't have in your goats' field? As in the leaves and bark a poisonous to ruminants?
It's very high in tannins- just like oak. Goats sheep and even cows will still eat it if they can though.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 08:37:50 am »
My walnut trees are surrounded by blackberries now this will surely be some protection from goats

My main question is if goats do debark the tress will it kill the trees?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 11:22:28 am »
My walnut trees are surrounded by blackberries now this will surely be some protection from goats

I wouldn't count on it....

My main question is if goats do debark the tress will it kill the trees?

If they go all the way round - yes it will kill the trees. Even if not al the way round, it will slow them down and make them prone to disease. I would put at least some chicken wire round them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:47:46 pm by Dan »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS