Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One lucky duck?  (Read 940 times)

LouiseCE

• Joined May 2020
One lucky duck?
« on: May 31, 2020, 09:03:23 am »
Hi all,

We have been incubating 6 miniature silver appleyards, at 1430 on the 30th we entered into our 29th day. We've had 1 finish its hatch around 15:15 on the 29th but so far nothing on the other 5, no external pipping, nothing. We had a lot of movement on at least two of the eggs on day 26 and when we candled them on day 25 they all looked fine. We didn't have any movement from any of them on day 27 so were concerned but then half way through day 28 finally one cracked the shell

My first question is - at what point do we assume that the other poor ducks aren't going to hatch? They all seemed to of been growing normally a couple of days ago.

The second question, are they okay to be alone? Should I try and see if anyone has any couple of day-old ducklings or incubate some more eggs?

Thank you in advance

Edit- I initially wrote this post yesterday morning (the 31st). Unfortunately, the post didn't get approved in time for any responses to be potentially too helpful to us, however, I wanted to update this post in case anyone else is in the same stuck position that we were in with no clue what to do!
Our one little duck would not stop crying unless he was in the incubator or being held (where he'd then snuggle into your neck!). We were conscious of potentially keeping him in the incubator as we'd heard that them being left in there with again potentially nonviable eggs wasn't good for the little one. In the end this morning (the 1st) we made a call too a local breeder and they had some ducklings of the same age. Thankful we were able to go and get them.
Our one little duck is still very desperate to be held and doesn't like staying under the brooder plate too much but it has some company now so hopefully be okay. I should add we are trying desperately to ignore the little one (who is very mischievous haha), it is hard though!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:19:26 pm by LouiseCE »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS