Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 791 times)

Dantempest

• Joined May 2020
Hi there
« on: May 29, 2020, 10:42:38 pm »
Hi all.
We have recently purchased 4 acres of land near Moffat Scotland and are looking to buy a small tractor.
This will be used to cut the meadow and clean up some woodland and to transport sand to the horse arena.
Any ideas on type would be super.
Cheers for now

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 12:45:42 pm »
Hello and welcome from 40 miles up the road  :wave:

We were lucky enough to be given a David Brown ancient tractor when we first started here 25 years ago - too big for most of our needs although we use it at haymaking with the larger equipment such as a baler.  We also bought a Siromer (one of the first in Britain I think) which does all the small stuff you describe, and more.  Your choice of small tractor depends to a large degree on your funds, so anything from 2nd hand to a posh brand new super-tractor, but for us the little Siromer has been perfect - we bought it flat pack and built it up ourselves and the very few repairs needed we have carried out ourselves, with excellent support from the importers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
Re: Hi there
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:35 pm »
Hi, and welcome from the other side of the A74!

We bought a 25hp Mahindra for similar tasks. It's been very useful, although spares are a bit tricky now as there aren't really any dealers.

If I was doing it again, I would go for the Siromer, as a similar beast but better support.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS