Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: glad to be here  (Read 1189 times)

mark francis

• Joined May 2020
glad to be here
« on: May 29, 2020, 06:56:31 pm »
just joined your organisation, mebees by accident, but glad to be amongst like minded people.my wife and i have a wee croft on the nw coast of the Isle of Skye, 3+ acres, now for 20 year. We have large gardens created with the help of pigs, meadows for grazing our wee flock of sheep, one of which had twins the day, deliberately late. Cut and turned the hay by hand today , cut with a finger mower, a lovely sward of grasses, speedwell, buttercup, pignut, plantain and a few nettles.....this is what crofting , to me is all about. Being on the coast, the raised beaches have now become, in the modren parlance re-wilded, a “millenium wood” planted 20 year ago now has a canopy and an undergrowth of bluebells. We take no grants believing it makes you do the wrong things to your land, use seaweed manures, that is ,if we can get to it before the endless plastic comes in from the Minch. Off the grid, with a micro hydro and solar panels we installed ourselves with “wombled “ pipes and cables........thanks for having us.......

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: glad to be here
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 10:39:42 am »
Welcome! You sound like just the sort of people I'd like to have a virtual coffee with  :)

Oh, and I DO love a good bit of wombling  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 12:30:28 pm »
Sounds lovely Mark. We used to holiday on Mull every year and the French voted Scotland the most beautiful Country in the world. Have some friends in NW Skye, Glendale- Nancy and Stuart Bell. Nancy runs the Post Office and Stuart has a workshop repairing vehicles. They have been there 10 years I think so perhaps you know them?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:34:14 pm »
Hello Mark and Mrs Mark up there in Skye.  What a wonderful life you have, and what good principles too.  I especially envy you the free seaweed - we are about as far from any coast as you can get in Scotland, so I have to buy in seaweed meal, and I'm not too happy about that.  It would be lovely to see some photos of your place  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 12:41:36 pm »
 :wave: from way down in North Cornwall, where I have been looking at the odd pockets of grass we can't graze, looking lush and fulsome in contrast to the dry and thirsty sward in the grazing fields (and no point shutting one up for hay, nothing is growing) and wishing I had the wherewithall to make some hay by hand...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »
Welcome Mark. Totally envious of your lifestyle. I love Skye (my only issue at the time was the petrol stations closing on a Sunday). We tend to stay at Skinidin (near the Three Chimneys) near to Dunvegan. Every time i go there i go to the NW point. Neist Point. The sea fishing is excellent there.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

mark francis

• Joined May 2020
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 07:47:56 pm »
Sounds lovely Mark. We used to holiday on Mull every year and the French voted Scotland the most beautiful Country in the world. Have some friends in NW Skye, Glendale- Nancy and Stuart Bell. Nancy runs the Post Office and Stuart has a workshop repairing vehicles. They have been there 10 years I think so perhaps you know them?
have been in the shop a few times, i think they are doing gude trade in these troubled times......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS