Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick composting  (Read 7207 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Quick composting
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 08:39:10 am »
It will be interesting to see what 'survives' your composting process.
With hot composting it is supposed to kill off everything with the heat but I think there are a number of seeds that survive - tomatoes/sunflowers/squashes etc.
I think it kills most weed including couch grass and bindweed roots but buckweed(fat hen) always seems to get through too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:53:47 am by Q »
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2020, 11:48:50 pm »
I really do like the look of the Hotbin and am seriously considering getting one or even two. I would like to see some independent reviews though, rather than the ones on their website.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 12:24:42 pm »
I really do like the look of the Hotbin and am seriously considering getting one or even two. I would like to see some independent reviews though, rather than the ones on their website.
One of the things I like about it is that they are clean, no mess, and not unsightly.

I struggled to get mine up to temperature but I hadn't really followed the initial instructions as carefully as I should have - I'd just had a dalek type before and bunged things in as and when.  You do need to add their bulking agent (just chopped bark as far as i can see) and make sure there is plenty of easily digested material.  I put in too much fresh vegetation to start with.

I've used the liquid from the valve at the bottom but haven't had the courage to open the hatch for the compost yet. (just in case I hadn't the strength to close it up again - weak fingers and bad back)  I'll possibly do that this weekend as my joiner is coming on Monday so he can help me get it back if it's too awkward for me.  it looks easy enough on the instruction leaflet
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:12 pm »
Unlike MGoM,  I'm not quite so anxious to get one of these hotbins.  I would, however, [member=26320]doganjo[/member]  appreciate reports on your experience (assisted or otherwise) of emptying the composted part of it's contents.

My concern with a composter made from polystyrene is how it stands up to raking through and then raking out with any sort of tool:  wood, plastic, metal. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2020, 09:11:54 pm »
The mixing tool hasn't done any harm but it doesnlt need much mixing to be honest.  I checked the compost hatch this morning and although it looked and smelt quite good it was still a bit lumpy so i tipped it back into the top.  I'll leave it a week or so - I'm pretty busy next week anyway - and check it again

It's certainly a clean thing and feels pretty solid.  It's compacted recycled stuff though not just polystyrene.  I would think that might get broken easily right enough.

I'm thinking of getting a dalek too though as I'm getting quite a lot of stuff nowadays to put in a compost bin
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2020, 11:58:20 pm »
Let us know when you check it again. I'm becoming more and more interested in buying one. I have a gardener to do things like getting the compost out and mixing the contents so they're not an issue.

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 06:29:08 pm »
Is the hotbin just a big insulated wheelie bin really? I was thinking of trying to insulate a wheelie bin with polystyrene packing, or similar. I was going to use compression straps to hold the lid tight.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2020, 06:40:45 pm »
It is made of compressed recycled materials.  It has a thermometer in the lid and an air vent.  It comes with an L shaped rake and another thermometer to check the actual contents as opposed to the temperature of the air immediautely under the closed lid.  It also has a ratchet strap to go round the hatch area to ensure a titght fit. It also has a thick plastic hot water bottle to boost the heat if necessary. It also comes with a bag of bulking agent - a sort of chopped wood chip.  It works during cold weather as well as hot

It has a hatch for removal of compost when ready and a tap at the bottom to drain off the 'juices' for diluting to make plant feed

From their website -

How does composting work in the HOTBIN?
Simply: Add kitchen and garden waste to your HOTBIN, get rich compost out.
In a nutshell (yes you can compost those as well), the HOTBIN is an aerobic compost bin that gets HOT.

When we say HOT, we are talking about temperatures of between 40-60°c; it’s this heat that allows bacteria to break waste down into compost in just 30 – 90 days, not to mention killing off weed seeds and pathogens!

To reach these temperatures you need to feed the bacteria in the bin and provide them with oxygen. In the HOTBIN you can feed them with a wider variety of waste than traditional cold composting heaps and divert more waste from landfill in the process. Pretty good!

Simply add anything from cooked food to garden waste then add some bulking agent and shredded paper or torn corrugated cardboard to the mix to keep the air flowing inside the bin. Once the bacteria are happily eating away, the heat in the HOTBIN will rise and the compost will follow.

All of this without an untidy compost heap, back breaking turning and stinky odours thanks to the integrated bio-filter minimising them and reducing the attraction of vermin and flies to the bin.

In 30-90 days from when you are hot composting, depending on the type of compost you would like, simply remove the front hatch and harvest your high quality HOTBIN compost.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2020, 06:51:30 pm »
Is the hotbin just a big insulated wheelie bin really? I was thinking of trying to insulate a wheelie bin with polystyrene packing, or similar. I was going to use compression straps to hold the lid tight.
I have a spare wheelie and I did consider that; but I reckoned once full it would be quite heavy, and difficult to tip out to use the compost.  Also you wouldn't know when the compost was ready.

So I would be inclined to modify it to make a discharge section at the bottom - otherwise you'd have to tip it all out, and if the compost wasn't ready you'd need to mix it up and put back into the wheelie for a while.  You might need a ratchet strap there to keep it closed

Also you won't know how hot it's getting and whether it was working properly.  With an open compost heap at least you can stick in a thermometer to check the heat, and turn the stuff if you have the strength (which I don't  :'( :'( ) .
Would you get usable compost in 6 weeks?  I sort of did but it was still lumpy so I put a couple of spadefuls back in the top.

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 10:43:09 am »
Yes, i agree that there might be a couple of other mods needed but I'll maybe try it. I was also considering having different size mesh inside to allow smaller contents to eventually fall through (maybe with a bit of a stir).

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 09:11:03 pm »
turning my compost today I found a little nest of mini grass snakes - i saw at least 5 but sadly may have composted some of them  ??? - I cant see you having this pleasure with your hot composter  :roflanim: :roflanim: :

I know my method is different but i am just about to have a proper go at the berkeley method of quick composting in 18 days starting tomorrow.

Not confident of he result but I will put the effort to see if its feasible.

I have started with a new heap of about 2 cubic meters of compost (buillt 4 days ago) - so tomorrow will be the first turn.
I am supposed to then turn it every other day up to day 18. (hmmm)

The theory says turn it before it gets too hot and kills off the microbes that are doing all the work.

I will let you know how I get on and maybe some start and finish pictures if you are interested?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2020, 10:18:14 pm »
It sounds very similar to the hotbin except there's no tedious turning.  Perhaps the hotbin is based on this research?
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS