Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scot Dumpy Chicks  (Read 1307 times)

Bristol Newbie

• Joined May 2020
Scot Dumpy Chicks
« on: May 24, 2020, 10:54:43 pm »
 Hello, as my name suggests I’m a newbie who has successfully hatched six beautiful chicks of three different breeds. I’m trying to work out which sexes they are and am getting very confused with what I find online   They are just 11 day’s old and so for one of the breeds it’s way too early to tell, the pekins i think we have at least one girl and possibly both are girls. However I have read so many conflicting reports on sexing our Scot Dumpys. Some things I read suggest that they can be sexed when hatched as the girls are dark and the boys are light. Is anybody able to tell me if these are girls or boys or if it’s too early to tell. Thanks for any comments and advice. I’ve attached some images. The Scot Dumpy chicks are the two black and yellow ones.

Cornish man

• Joined Mar 2021
Re: Scot Dumpy Chicks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 11:28:27 pm »
I’ve bred large dumpies for 46 years I just wait till their about 3/4 weeks then you can tell.
Don’t be in a rush dumpies take a while to develop especially the all important cock birds.
I keep 4 sextets of large cuckoos and they lay well.
I always keep 1 leggy hen per pen with the rest short. Do not use leggy cocks as the percentage of leggy birds goes up dramatically.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS