Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chainsaws  (Read 9137 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
chainsaws
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:45:12 pm »
I think it's about time I got a chainsaw, but people have said that the cheap ones are difficult to get parts for.

I don't want to buy a £400 professional one - I'm not going into the forestry business, just doing some hedge control & firewood cutting; so I was wondering if anybody could recommend a 'cheap' but maintainable petrol chainsaw, or what to look for in a cheap chainsaw?

cheers

mab

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
Re: chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 06:48:47 pm »
I used to work in the forestry and my first choice would be a Husqvarna, then a Stihl, you can pick a good second hand one up for about £100, these cheap makes a not made to last.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:23:21 pm »
My dad's got a bit of a chainsaw habit  ;)
Would agree that Husqvarna is a good brand - check out ebay (that's where all my dad's came from !) He also got a wee electric bosch one for about £20 - tends to overheat after about 30 mins (but in this weather 30 min outside is about my limit !) but for the money - I think it's great for light work and a good standby  ;D
HTH
Karen

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 09:55:55 pm »
You will get a good wee stihl chainsaw for about £160 - £180 new with waranty that would do you fine I got mine from ebay 3 years ago for £135 new in the box and it payed for itself the first time the neighbers seen me useing it and asked me to cut a tree down and into logs for them !

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:54 pm »
Stihl and Husky like everyone says make good machines that last and can get repaired. 

I've been using saws for nearly 40 years and they still scare me enough to wear safety gear every time.  That means ear protection, ballistic trousers, a mesh mask and gloves

Please get some training: these things are damn dangerous even with anti-kickback chains and chainbrakes.  A two-stroke saw is a very different beast to the Black & Decker domestic job.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:59:47 am »
Well I'm glad I asked!

I was leaning towards a cheap new one, but I think now I'll look at a good 2nd hand one or - if the price is right a new one with safety kit deal.

I must admit I was wondering about the risks involved - most of the hire firms in this area won't hire them out for safety reasons - I'm going to get some 'training' from a friend. I was going to get a small one and be very careful - I only want petrol as a 50m extension doesn't take you very far from the house.

Thanks

mab

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:54:56 am »
Just suggestion.

If you haven't used a chainsaw and are nervous about doing so, go on a training course. They can be found in most rural areas. They are either run by the local tech college or commercial training companies. Your local chainsaw supplier will probably know where these can be found.

Using a dangerous machine and being a nervous novice is a good way of talking yourself into an accident. A bit of good training = more confidence and a safer operation.

Also, learn how to look after the chainsaw like you would a gun. Things like chain tension, knowing when to get the chain sharpened and getting the beast to start easily also make a contribution to safety

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

waterhouse

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:22 pm »
Round here the big farmers don't have saws any more.  Not worth the health and safety risk.

When the chain is correctly tensioned and wickedly sharp the machine is at its safest and deeply satisfying to use.  I love that spray of chippings from a well sharpened chain.  It's worth a course to know how to sharpen and maintain the beast.  Chains are expensive to have sharpened, and it's always waiting to be done when you need to cut something urgently.  You also need to know how to deal with hung-up trees, snedding and the like.  The only time I put myself in casualty was when doing a trivial job.  The chain doesn't make a neat cut...

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:12 pm »
Well, 'nervous' would be an exaggeration - I do have experience with other hazardous tools after all; but a machine designed to lop tree limbs easily probably goes through human limbs rather quickly, which puts it into a league of its own.  ;)

As it happens a friend who often puts odd jobs my way as part of his business, has just suggested that if I buy a chainsaw, he might finance a chainsaw course for me so he can employ my 'forestry services' legitimately - at our usual 'mates' rate of course  :) :) .

mab

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 05:34:00 pm »
i went to welsh college of horticulture and . they do all that and the training for all other things like pa1  spraying ect tool saftey traing e.g strimmer .reaseheath agricultural college do it to.it would be an idea to see whats localish to you these are an hour to two hours away from me
part 1 of the chainsaw course is to teach you how to safely use the saw and maintain it.and   chopping felled trees  part 2 is then more involved and there are so many things to learn like how to saw a partly fallen tree.
 then theres the climbing bit as well .
if you do it it is expensive but it will pay for itself
hire companies wont hire them because theres too much risk involved,even if you have a licence and are professional.
i personally know someone who the saw jumped and it went through his groin upwards
please get training and wear safety gear  all the time even for the small jobs.
there just too quick and powerfull to stop sometimes and its not worth it.
i wont use one anymore.my mate does it.

waterhouse

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:08:05 am »
I know I started this safety thing but you have to keep a sense of proportion.  I sold my much-loved motorbike because I stopped enjoying other twats trying to kill me while they were on the phone in their steel box at 80mph.  I still use a saw and I still think its safer than the being on the M25 on a bike.  Probably safer than going hunting too. 

Just know what you're doing and think.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:31 pm »
I just bought a new Husqvarna for £149 (20%) off and so far it is doing a great job with small to medium sized trees. I would recommend it.
JD 

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 01:20:22 pm »
That's a good price! My local dealers can't seem to match that.  :-[

mab

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 10:19:16 pm »
Hi Mabs, got it here, www.seddondirect.co.uk,
JD

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 10:57:41 am »
thanks!  :)

mab

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS