Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning lambs from ewes  (Read 5113 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Weaning lambs from ewes
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 10:25:14 am »
Common problem in a commercial situation and NZ /AUST  and the advice is to wean early , from 8wks and give the lambs any good grass , keeping ewes on the dry grass to dry them off

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 09:21:13 am »
We are also fast running out of grass. It’s been so dry that growing never really kicked off and no rain forecast for weeks. I’m addressing our overstocking issue today but even if I shift some out it still won’t help much.
I had them sheared last week and two of my Radnor ewes are pretty bony. They’re raising twins. The other two twin Mums don’t look as thin, and the single Mum looks fine. I’ve just moved them to a small paddock for a few days and have started feeding ewe nuts too, although I don’t have the capacity to separate thin and fat so it’s hard when they all mob me! Am I reading it right that there’s a risk of mastitis if the ewe isn’t producing “enough” milk, and if so would that make natural weaning more risky from a mastitis point of view?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 10:21:46 am »
Yes lack of milk and lambs thumping and biting can increase the risk of mastitis SLIGHTLY , but as with all thing sheep never straight forward ,the lean ewes may be lean because they are producing lots of milk or because they are lean they may be producing less . The fit ewes may be fit because they are producing less milk and so holding condition . Look at the condition of the lambs if you want to know how much milk is being produced . Feeding will help

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS