Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dominant Ram Problem....  (Read 1371 times)

JIMMYD

• Joined May 2020
Dominant Ram Problem....
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »
Hi all.

I have ended up with a ram, and he now thinks he runs the show.  He was a hand reared orphan, and  prior to going to slaughter ended up with flystrike (The only lamb to get it....), and was kept back.  Feeling sorry for him I hung onto him, and then he became part of the surroundings ... I am sure you have heard it all before. He was castrated, and most of the time runs with our small flock, but during the lambing season he is a nuisance and has to be kept apart with a few of the barren ewes.

Anyway he is now 2 years old, and has become dominant . I can handle him , and he is not really a problem, you just have to keep your eyes open - however my Dad is quite elderly and the rams now a problem.   He butts ,   and might knock my dad down.

Can his behaviour be changed, or is it a lost cause?  I know the easiest solution is to cull him, but most  of the time he is fine running with the other sheep, and I am getting soft in my old age ......

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Dominant Ram Problem....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:10:33 pm »
You know the answer - he has to be sent off, for the sake of your father if nothing else (falls and fractures in older people can end up in disability and death, so it is serious).  At 2 yo he will continue to get worse and become a real danger.  Just see it as having been his intended destiny anyway, and hasn't he had a lovely temporary reprieve.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 05:42:35 pm »
As Fleecewife says cull him either through market or  get him to abattoir   and eat him , he will only get stronger and more aggressive
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:12:57 pm by shep53 »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:38:29 pm »
Cull.  The sooner the better.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 07:52:09 pm »
If you have the slightest concern for peoples safety you really should cull. Hand reared animals are the worst for being aggressive, they have no respect/fear of humans which is cute when they are small, not so cute as adults..

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:46:49 pm »
Get him gone, before he hurts someone. I have a good ram going on exactly the same 1 way trip this summer. Not worth the risk.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 09:24:42 pm »
You know the answer - he has to be sent off, for the sake of your father if nothing else (falls and fractures in older people can end up in disability and death, so it is serious).  At 2 yo he will continue to get worse and become a real danger.  Just see it as having been his intended destiny anyway, and hasn't he had a lovely temporary reprieve.

We're all saying the same and Fleecewife put it beautifully.  He's had a lovely extension to his life, but he won't improve and you will regret it (and so much more than you will regret sending him off) if he does hurt someone. 

And the "falls can be fatal" in the elderly thing isn't a myth.  All sorts of bizarre knock-on effects can and do occur, can cause very serious complications and sometimes death.  I have two people close to me to whom this has happened.  Take the risk very seriously.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS