Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to the forum - Hello!  (Read 794 times)

Great Holt

• Joined May 2020
New to the forum - Hello!
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:18:21 pm »
Hello, I'm just embarking on a new venture to keep me out of trouble. My other half has a pedigree beef herd with some commercials and I'm going to start my own pedigree Blue Texel flock again with some commercials. The aim is to show, sell and fill the freezer. Neither of us have kept sheep before so it's a vertical learning curve on that front. We have plenty of land and sheds etc. so no problems there. We do have friends and family that keep sheep, I just thought joining here would be a good place to chat and hopefully be able to ask the 'stupid' questions in a friendly environment. So if you've been in my shoes please feel free to give any advice as it will be gratefully received. The chosen 14 arrive in a weeks time...

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: New to the forum - Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 06:41:13 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS from a sunny Somerset. :wave:

I would recommend reading the Sheep section in the "Livestock" part of the TAS website. I found it invaluable when I started keeping sheep. Also, read some of the early diary entries. Even when you are experienced, things do go wrong. Rosemary and Dan have been very honest in describing the bad days as well as the good days. It gave me great comfort to know that I wasn't the only one who made the occasional mistake!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 09:24:44 pm »
Yup, we all still make mistakes and learn things, so never feel embarrassed about asking anything.  We love to help :)  and we still learn new things too, from other people's answers and from new people trying new things!

Whereabouts are you? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:11:49 pm »
Hello and welcome! Our diary has our experiences (see above) and lots of help on here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS