Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Artificial Insemination  (Read 419 times)

piper28

• Joined May 2019
Artificial Insemination
« on: May 16, 2020, 04:29:38 pm »
Hi

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as artificial insemination for pygmy goats?

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Artificial Insemination
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:37:16 am »
There are 2 forms of AI - natural which can be carried out by someone qualified to do so (Christine Ball runs BGS courses periodically to teach people how to do it) and laparoscopic which must be carried out by a vet.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to use AI rather than natural service?

Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

piper28

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 01:00:35 pm »
Thanks for that.

Thought it might be easier as i don't have transport to move goats around and then i would have to find someone fairly local for stud

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:57:40 pm »
Thanks for that.

Thought it might be easier as i don't have transport to move goats around and then i would have to find someone fairly local for stud

Easier: unlikely!!!  It's not an easy procedure and success rate of traditional is lower than for laparoscopic whereas the latter is borderline "unnecessary operation" on a healthy animal and should be seen as a last resort/special case rather than a preferred option.

How many goats are you looking to cover and where are you based? 
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

piper28

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 01:17:42 pm »
Thanks for advice.  I only have two and am based in stirlingshire.  Both are 24 month at the moment

Artificial lights and does

Started by Northlands

Replies: 2
Views: 775
Last post October 24, 2013, 05:20:42 pm
by sokel

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS