Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Building a Duck Pond  (Read 1268 times)

certain-death

• Joined Dec 2016
Building a Duck Pond
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:55:18 am »
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any advice on building a self cleaning duck pond. We’ve wanted to put a reasonable pond in for ages but the cleanliness has always deterred me from starting.

Ideally I’d like something low maintenance.

My current idea is to have the pond located in the field in front of our house. The house/Garden are elevated above the field by about 2m, I was thinking I could pump water from the pond to the top of the slope then have a stream carrying water back into the pond. I was hoping with the right selection of plants in/around the stream we could create a bio filter effectively.

At the moment we have 5 geese and 3 ducks, in the future the duck count is likely to increase (maybe to between 6-10) and geese decrease.

I was thinking a pond size of about 3x4M with a depth of about 1M if that sounds sufficient ?

Any help/ advice would be appreciated, I’d like to try and get this project off the ground since we have a bit more time on our hands this year.

TIA

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Building a Duck Pond
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 11:35:44 am »
A friend with a digger dug one for me.  Just a plain hole, a metre and a half deep, stepped ledges, and about 3 metres diameter, no lining needed as it filled up as he was digging it. It went up and down with teh water table, and was a great sump if there was a sudden downpour
I tried putting in plants to keep it sweet but my 6 ducks either ate them or trashed them.  I tried a solar powered pump to turn the water over but they trashed that too.  Eventually I just left them to it.  It was partially in shade so sometimes there was pond weed, but I raked that out and left it to dry on the side.  They had great fun playing with that and finding beasties to eat.  It never seemed to get smelly as they churcned it up so much, but when I moved and the new owners wanted it filled in because thy had a toddler we discovered that it was only a couple of feet deep, with sludge at the bottom - the ducks (and probably helped by my hens) had taken all the earth down from the sides - I hadn't noticed it had got wider  ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS