Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pale eggs  (Read 1308 times)

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
pale eggs
« on: May 14, 2020, 10:01:50 am »
Hi,
     I have 28 hybred free  range laying hens under 12 months old. Up until about a week  ago, I was getting 21-24 eggs every day. All of a sudden, afew days ago, production dropped over night to 11-12 eggs/day, also appetite dropped - I feed them adlib layers pellets in a feeder, so I noticed the level of feed was not falling as fast as it should. Appetite has picked up again a bit, but not egg production and some of the eggs I am getting are very very pale - almost white. Anyone any ideas?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: pale eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:35:54 am »
Not sure why it should be sudden other than a shock - fox or other predator prowling maybe - but otherwise decline and colour could be related to worms - when did you last worm them?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:29 am »
I'd guess your pellets have colourants in them- yolk enhancers they label them. If they have no grass and are not eating anyway the yolks will lose colour. The reason they are not eating could be due to parasites like red mite or lice. A moult would do the same but they are too young at the moment I think? Check them and the coop over throughly.

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 02:23:10 pm »
thanks for your replies and comments noted. should have been a bit more specific, its the shells that have gone pale , not the yolks. the hens look fine in themselves, if it was some sort of infection - worms or mites - there would be other signs. we always have foxes in our garden but the huts are secure. as I say, food consumption is back on the up s o I hope egg production will be. thanks again everyone.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:25:24 am »
shell colour is basically white or blue, and shades of brown are created by the bloom that the hen adds in the last stage of laying. Whatever they are like at the start of the season, most hens' eggs get paler as it goes on (presumably as the nutrients necessary to create the colour are depleted). Nothing to worry about, as you've noticed anyway!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS