Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Green Beans  (Read 1473 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Green Beans
« on: May 11, 2020, 05:47:09 pm »
I'm a little confused (yes i know that isn't hard to do). I am trying to find out what the straight, smooth 'Green Beans' you get in bags from the supermarket are. I've looked at runner beans and cannot see them there. I've looked at French beans and cannot really see them there either. Any ideas? And which varieties would you recommend for Northern Scotland?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Green Beans
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 06:04:03 pm »
As I never buy beans in the supermarket, I think what you are looking for is climbing french beans. If you want the very thin ones, then you are looking for filet beans - too fiddly for me.  Here in southern scotland I grow 'superbean' Firestorm which is a cross between Runners and climbing french, but tastes more runnery, but then that's what I like.  I grow all my beans, dwarf and climbers, inside a polytunnel.  Really to choose a variety for your location you need to give various ones a try, perhaps Cobra and Isobel, and see how they do.  French beans are very tender, but if you sow them now they will come through after last frost if your climate is anything like ours (minus 4 here last night).  Climbing french beans do not like wind, especially cold wind.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Green Beans
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:46 pm »
Cheers Fw. I don't have a polytunnel or greenhouse (yet). Wind can be a problem here but i was going to plant next to a 6ft fence that shelters the most common prevailing wind (SW).  Temp wise. Iknow the feeling. We had snow (actually laid as well) on sat/sun. Oh the joys.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS