Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time farrowing.  (Read 1410 times)

The verge

• Joined Jun 2016
First time farrowing.
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:46:36 pm »
Hi we are looking to breed from one of our current landrace gilts. I am planning to go the artificial insemination route. We will be splitting her from the rest when she reaches about 70kg and have a separate pen with a farrowing hut in it. Will she be ok using the hut continuously until she is pregnant or should she have different accommodation.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: First time farrowing.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 05:18:01 pm »
I can see no problem with her using the same hut all the time. But. Is she going to have no contact with any other pigs after the 70Kg is reached? Remember pigs are social animals and need contact with others (or you could get problems with her).
Also if she is going to be using the same hut, i personally would move the hut to clean land with new bedding just before she farrows. That way you reduce the risk of contamination/viruses/diseases to the piglets.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: First time farrowing.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 09:42:46 am »
Agree with comments above. Splitting her from the rest with cause stress which you don't want when you need to AI. Have you got a group you are fattening and this one for breeding? In which case your fatteners will go off as they reach weight anyway. Have you only got gilts? A teaser boar is useful when you are doing AI.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS