Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dry sow with Mastitis  (Read 1763 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Dry sow with Mastitis
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »
I have a sow who farrowed back in Jan. she has since been put back with the boar and is in pig, due in July. As she is not long pregnant she is effectively ‘dry’
The last week one of her teats started to swell up and has gone rock hard. Tonight I gave her antibiotics and painkiller and managed to strip the test. Some pus starting to come out.
Has any had this in a sow when not weaning? Should I give her oxytocin and try and strip the teat or leave the antibiotics to do the work?
Restraining her and stripping will be hard as she is in a large pen

She did have mastitis in her last (and first litter) which we treated quickly and successfully and no signs of mastitis when I weaned her litter

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Dry sow with Mastitis
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:53 pm »
 Thanks

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 08:06:40 am »

I would speak to your vet. Different organisms cause the mastitis and some infections can be toxic to the pig. They can test to see what type from a swab. If she has had it before and again as a dry sow then long term it is probably going to be an issue.

Have you got earth floors?

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 08:11:37 am »
Morning Harmony,

Yes will call the vet this morning. They are in an outside pen so yes it’s an earth floor.

Hope I’ve caught it early enough  :fc:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:59:40 am »
I was thinking more of a building with an earth floor making it difficult to clean thoroughly.  I think mastitis can be chronic as well as acute.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 06:00:42 pm »
I think mastitis can be chronic as well as acute.

You're correct. It can be.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

gingerpigs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 09:31:04 pm »
I would terminate that sow after this litter, on the assumption that she will continue with mastitis, need meds, potentially in pain, grumpy and dangerous. There are lots of sows available, it sounds like you have more than one?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS