Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castrating young bull calf single handedly  (Read 1768 times)

Muddy Wellies

• Joined Dec 2019
Castrating young bull calf single handedly
« on: May 04, 2020, 12:30:03 pm »
Had a wee bull calf 4 days ago. Due to everyone self isolating, and me having symptoms at the mo, I can't ask a neighbour to come and help me castrate the calf, as I usually do. Never done it single handedly. Any tips?
Aberdeen Angus cross, and quite small (luckily!)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Castrating young bull calf single handedly
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 02:46:01 pm »

We have a farmer network here who collected names of people willing to help farmers who had to isolate with Covid. Do you have one? Are you insured with the NFU? They contacted their "vulnerable" farmers at the beginning of this.

Someone could maybe come and do your castration, trim tup's horn etc. They don't need to go anywhere near you.

Muddy Wellies

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:49:28 pm »
That's a really good idea - I'll find out. Thanks!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 02:56:55 pm »
If you need someone to help you castrate anyway, you might as well wait till restrictions are lifted. Entire males grow faster than castrated ones so it won't hurt to wait.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 03:20:21 pm »
Found myself in a similar situation a few weeks back and I couldn't think of a way to do it safely - for him and for me, and especially how I would cope if something went wrong - so Odin still has his balls and we will either get the vet to castrate him later in the year or, if he behaves and there isn't an unwanted sperm issue ;), live with it until he goes off (which will be November if all goes according to plan.)

We are in the throes of deciding what to do to replace the matriarch Jersey who died  :'( and may well end up with someone fertile at just the wrong time.. or might decide to let Odin do the biz anyway as we are only producing eating calves for ourselves.  But will that give him "bull taint", does anyone know?  Is there such a thing?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:23:16 pm »
No it doesn't give bull taint Sally. I rarely castrate my bulls, and I sell then entire in the fatstock market where they fetch around the same price/kg as the steers.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS