Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loading pig advice please  (Read 1222 times)

Splodge64

• Joined Feb 2020
Loading pig advice please
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:24:57 am »
We have three OSBs 6 months old, we are sending one off on its own sadly next week and need to load him into our trailer, the problem is that we can’t get the trailer anywhere near the pig enclosure so I’m going to have to move the pig across the field any advice on how to do this without it turning into a farce would be greatly appreciated thanks

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Loading pig advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 08:35:16 am »

Preparation is the key. Do you have somewhere to put them in (shed, stable) to load them into the trailer from? If not set the trailer up so you can create a pen behind it. Something sold and well secured. Pigs go through things and once they have done it once they will do it again.

Do they follow you for feed? Hopefully, the answer is yes to this one. In which case get them all to follow you to the loading area, feed in the trailer. Put all 3 in and then take two out. Practise this before loading day. If need be leave them until really hungry before you try it. Only give them a bit of food in the trailer so they will follow you back to the field.

Trying to take one from the group is unlikely to work. Aim to load the day before rather than giving yourself the stress in the morning when your under pressure.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Loading pig advice please
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 03:11:42 pm »
I think you'll have to move them all to the trailer and then load the one your taking and move the other two back. I would probably do it the night before your taking him too, although it won't be very nice for him to be alone on his last night?

When I have been in your situation I have made a pen put of 4 gates tied together and run a line of hurdles from the paddock to the pen. Once in the pen you have to move the pigs into the next line of hurdles while you move all of the gates into the next secure pen. I found that making a pen out of hurdles didn't work, they lift up too easily. It takes ages and is far from ideal, but worked for me

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS