Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Safety Footwear  (Read 1873 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Safety Footwear
« on: April 30, 2020, 05:04:27 pm »
Due to this virus, I like many others have had to have a telephone appointment for NHS. Had the orthopaedic phone about my foot as I quibbled when the X-ray results came back and the "expert" said no problem! (I saw the xrays also saw the bone where it shouldn't be!). Very nice lady on phone!!

However, I have been asked to NOT wear wellies when outside! Currently, NOT going to happen. This mainly due to the fact that they may be making said foot & ankle worse (lady reckons I have really knackered my ankle!! In her words "most people only do the one or the other injury, you've done both!") - One of the delights of keeping hay on pallets and not seeing where one is walking!!

So, I need to keep my wellies at the moment, but as the weather dries, I am looking for boots (think hiker type). However, that in itself is a problem. The ankle is the left ankle so when I drive (clutch) I feel everything!! There is currently a lot of tractor work that needs doing (muck spreading etc) and ones foot is preventing me from doing it at the moment.

I purchased several years ago a pair of hiking boots and left them in the box (as you do). I wear these when I go out with dog to vets, mainly because they are comfy and supportive. BUT again, when driving I can feel it on the ankle, so they aren't really suitable for traipsing across the fields/driving tractors etc.

My question is this - Does anyone wear any kind of safety boot that is hiker boot style but comfortable? I need my toes protecting from large footed cretins (Juniper & Knickers to name just 2) and they must support the ankle. I am aware that S3 rated give me protective midsoles, but that in itself can also be uncomfortable, but of course it depends on the boot. I have looked online and seen so many types but NOT one pair stands out with really good reviews. I've seen some Dickies but they seem to be 50/50 on the reviews. I've had for years the Dealer boot type which have been great, but due to foot, when I can get them on, they need to come off within 10 minutes otherwise I'm in agony. I have size 8 feet but my hiking boots are Northwest Territorys Size 9 and fit perfect. Ladies boots are no good due to the lack of proper width so a uni or a mens boot would be best and ideally below a kilo per boot!

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Safety Footwear
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 05:52:44 pm »
I have slightly dodgy ankles due to years of exercise and engineering. So to that end when i cannot wear my wellies i have a nice set of high-leg boots called Pro Magnum Force (like military combat boots). They are gortex lined, thinsulate insulated, vibram soles and support my ankles a treat.

Maybe have a look into something like that to see if it would suit your needs.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 06:15:10 pm »
Similar sort of foot problem here, following a 'sudden deceleration/impact volvo v motorcycle incident' - then having knocked me flying the b@$t@*# ran over my foot as I lay on the ground. A volvo weighs quite a bit so several bones crushed and ground around.  That was well over 3 decades ago but my foot is still very painful at times.  Wellies are so easy to slip on, but they really are rubbish at supporting feet, and give no protection at all.  I used to wear hill boots but the ones I've had for ages are so comfortable I don't want to wreck them totally.  I have bought some really good boots in the past from Englebert Strauss, who do a smaller ladies size (4-5) but only in some styles, usually not the ones I want, but you having a larger foot would have more choice than me.   Some styles come with a composite toe cap and arch protector which means they are lighter.  I saw what looked like a perfect summer weight waterproof boot advertised by a closing down fishing shop (fishtec) but they start at 7 - typical (of course people with small feet, like women and young folk, never go fishing do they!)
I can't recommend a perfect boot, but just wanted to sympathise and see what good suggestions come up from others
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:30:25 pm »
I use Equitector yard boots. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:56:16 pm »
Take a look at equestrian yard boots. Come in a different lengths. Have steel toe caps. Tend to support ankles.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 01:34:14 am »
My background is construction and they basically have a type of protective equipment to suit everyone, it's just a matter of finding it, helpful I know! A couple of people I work with have had ankle surgery and when they do.e back to work they usually favour the hi ankle military style mentioned above.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:42:37 pm »
Thanks to all who answered. Googled, found some nice looking Cofra's in my price range £30 (new rondano) but then told not waterproof. Googled more. Swallowed very deeply and today for £87 my Cofra Lexingtons arrived! Very comfy!! Quite surprised how comfy. Will not be a rush job getting on or off but comfy and 150g lighter than my riggers and 700g lighter than my Thermo +. Yes, I can feel the hard ground (can in the wellies) but the ankle is supported.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 01:19:38 am »
If you're in them all day every day then the memory foam inner soles are quite nice to have. You can pick them up for a couple of quid. You should get at least a year out of a set.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 10:27:01 pm »
have you tried something like this? Not saying these are any good but many different types available.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ankle-Plantar-Fasciitis-Foot-Compression-Ankle-Support-Heel-Arch-Ankle/253299796089?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3af9d82879:m:mV4ztV98InTxJQck0pRGQgg&enc=AQAEAAACYIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8MyypsJPgXKBMsgxzC%2B4AcufPIrJqKaAK%2F4fbWmvgihwBQ9KFzzUBPa3cFN6FaPXx9y6k1WhGhFYm2sduesobptVUSuvgNU%2Fm3p0v%2Bbi3R67UH7yoeeX0EjFc6U%2F%2F%2BoAMpPNXc%2BHHFIamIaq3KCYVZKRoZkXKDG%2F5SW6%2F3pek1L%2BficIbnmgHyxnt%2B%2FAK1enNaTZ%2BHSAekxAqpaRbP88GNG%2BSgZhW%2BtuoAsZ6x0hDOuVx5zkdYS56i%2BNEdeIwrOOsLAhiIROGUIlyP2dX802DM9ErDmNfzWe%2BmWGWDTgXfqDU%2BnMUOAmX93hFWoHo1KZuSRipvxyxDl3RSoFOzRoUgT8a4A5VE3fPf%2FKQRAt%2Fx7ROHYg4okQwR6%2FOMlyHfLe9mDFzZOxpIxGB2Bc2%2B8J1uCYAd9RhRDWkJeCKRM%2FnWUdXfArdCrCgh16Y6V%2B5X5AmqtPIi4Ahna5DEOttTdcCapfBMU1ZCHxGDsgpIc%2F0WzZjy4N92lpRM0vPcTZT1n0i2k5AfuNAPmAGuX0u40DJZTUFZv2gFdvqGjU3kjFexlCadGvGnwZHarZminmXCZldyCtKpgTtu3aZOY5BCEWqUzZRkOERc0BMH3V0nbEoOFXAdfTHQZViKtuP9cRf1wZYcb8NcmrJnaovQY%2FQwHcz85R%2BuOEsLedTaG8n5fK5pPxlTofCDu8gBvwnftBYzzV6Y8Ab8FqC%2BnOPErtFVwizBQkm9WXBJp3oCtb7R%2BPpVKP4U8vM195zIttZBJW5c5trtmMj0NTifB&checksum=25329979608950583311e11745c08886394ffc3d7d09

I do wear ankle support similar to that under sock and a tight fitting leg warmer over the sock. Lady on phone suggested cutting toes off several pairs of socks and using them!

I never realised that my balance is now completely caput. I've been doing the exercises as asked to strengthen the ankle and it's shocking to realise that without knowing my balance has slowly deteriorated. I've been limping since last year and not thought much about it but I cannot stand on my left leg without holding onto something. When I spoke to her On phone and I tried it I ended up with opposite leg stuck out at a stupid angle just to try and balance.

The saying 'use it or lose it' has really struck a chord as a simple limp at the time is a permanent feature now, unconsciously as well because the longer i'm on my feet the more I'm feeling it.

I haven't quite mastered the art of flight yet! So got to walk, hobble, limp everywhere!! And, the ground is rock rock hard and damned uncomfortable on both feet!! I miss the mud!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS