Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump on lambs’ noses  (Read 2339 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Lump on lambs’ noses
« on: April 28, 2020, 10:03:02 pm »
Last a Wednesday I noticed one of my lambs had a pink spot/lump on the end of his nose, about a cm above his nostrils. Also another patch where the hair was missing just underneath this spot. The skin didn’t appear broken but I thought he might have caught his nose on something prickly or on barbed wire. Applied Sudocrem, and the past couple of days blue spray, but it didn’t go away and looked quite prominent. Tonight I tested to see if it was an abscess by using a sterile needle; there was no pus as such, just a bit of watery blood. It didn’t carry on bleeding at all and sprayed with blue spray again. On leaving the field I noticed another lamb with the same looking lump in the exact same place. I just want to check I’m not missing some sort of disease?? (It’s not scabby like orf.)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Lump on lambs’ noses
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 06:24:44 am »
I suspect its the early stages of orf, pretty much all of my lambs have all had it this year

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:24:58 am »
Yes, could be orf. You can get cream or tablets to treat. Can be a nuisance if it stops lambs from drinking. You can catch it too and it is very painful so use disposable gloves when touching them.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 10:12:37 am »
I don’t know, we had orf back along which cleared up and that was scabby. This is like a smooth lump, which is why I thought maybe an abscess.

Here are some pics.

First one is the original lamb that I lanced. You can see the pinky little lump (which I prob exacerbated a little by sticking it) and underneath two areas where the hair is gone.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 10:13:28 am »
This is the second lamb I noticed last night - doesn’t look as pink but hair missing again.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 10:15:59 am »
This is the third lamb which I just noticed this morning - three hairless spots.

I’m confused about where the hair is going  ???

So it didn’t look like orf we had before, unless it can also look like this?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:08:53 pm »
Do you have a lot of thistles around?  Lambs noses can get pricked by the spikes, then that becomes infected with orf.  It looks pretty much like orf, but anyway, treat it the same, NOT poking around at it (because it's sore, and all you'll do is spread it further including to you).  Spraying with blue spray will prevent the pustules from secondary infection, but does nothing for the orf.  When you are spraying around the mouth and near the eyes, take care to cover both from the spray.  We haven't had orf for donkey's years so I can't remember how or if we treated it, as it's self limiting
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 12:49:34 pm »
Orf, salt or a Dennis Brinicome  Fro-but  tubby to dry up .   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 01:03:28 pm by shep53 »

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 01:19:39 pm »
I’ll treat it as if it’s orf for now then and just leave it be. It isn’t scabby, so I think that’s why I thought it was something different. There are plenty of brambles along the fence lines and in the field they are in, along with a roll of barbed wire on a wooden holder which they like to huddle under when it rains, so as you say, getting pricked is a possibility. (This is a neighbours field; I wouldn’t have brambles or barbed wire rolls in mine but needs must at the moment due to our grass situation.)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 01:44:44 pm »
Orf can vary from a little lump to the whole nose a raw lump with the lips like bottox on steroids plus it can affect the eye area and the feet also the ewes teats  . If it becomes a problem you can check out Scabivax

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 03:31:37 pm »
Now please don't shout me down, but there are other things that can cause lumps, spots whatever you want to call them.
One of these is what is called "goatpox" (not really goatpox) in dairy goats - but all it is a staph aureus infection. Usually starts on the dam's udder and it then transferred to the kids noses/mouths when they suckle. I suspect it is similar in sheep. It is most prevalent in first kidders, and it is often just a consequence of the immune system not working 100%. It often clears up by itself, if not treatment is AB's.

So if the lambs are fine, feeding and by now grazing fine, I wold just observe and check, most likely it will disappear.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 07:17:01 pm »
In lambs  ORF contagious pustular dermatitis  which is a virus can combine with staphylococcus aureus which is a bacteria to produce very serious damage to the nose  ,lips and mouth  and need AB's to control

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS