Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fence kits  (Read 2171 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Electric fence kits
« on: April 27, 2020, 01:03:26 pm »
So am getting my lambs in a few weeks am buzzing ha ,
The bit ov land I have I a long thin strip about 100ft wide, 1,2 acres
My question is what's the best cheep electric fence kit to strip grase it with ?
It will have to run off at battery,  I do have a 12v solar panel I can attach ,
Any recommendations? Thanks

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Electric fence kits
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 01:17:21 pm »
I wouldn't strip graze it. lambs have little respect for electric fences in any case and don't really understand them. I would also let them have the best grass they like and it should eventually level out.

How many lambs will you have on 1.2 acre?

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 01:37:30 pm »
Ok thank you that's saved me £150
Am getting 4 lambs

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 05:14:31 pm »
Better than strip grass divide land in squares (more or less). You have much better distribution of poo and more even grazing.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 10:42:52 am »
No one tell my lambs that they do not respect the electric fence.  I use the wire not the tape for them and have a tape top one for me to see!  In six years of breeding woolybacks I have not had a lamb escape from the electric.  Under gates and down ditches then yes they are little tow rags.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 12:03:40 pm »
No one tell my lambs that they do not respect the electric fence.  I use the wire not the tape for them and have a tape top one for me to see!  In six years of breeding woolybacks I have not had a lamb escape from the electric.  Under gates and down ditches then yes they are little tow rags.

Mine are very good too  :fc:  they generally have a good zap on day 1 and then respect it from there on in. I use polywire, 3 strands if splitting a field up to paddock graze, 2 strands as a back up to perimeter fencing. They have a good 1.7 joule fencer on at all times and don’t let the battery get low. It is worth investing in good quality electric fencing kit if you’re going to use it a lot.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »
I think my lambs must just be bad lambs  ;) :D

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 08:32:48 pm »
i keep over 1000 lambs behind electric, i think your doing it wrong. The op suggestion of strip grazing, although not ideal is better than set stocking. Better still mob graze as suggested if you want to improve quality. For 4 lambs I would be very tempted to set up a walking fence and move every day.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 11:01:23 am »
i keep over 1000 lambs behind electric, i think your doing it wrong. The op suggestion of strip grazing, although not ideal is better than set stocking. Better still mob graze as suggested if you want to improve quality. For 4 lambs I would be very tempted to set up a walking fence and move every day.
I strip graze the larger areas and use a back fence when the area starts getting too large so that there is untouched regrowth.  The wire I use is galanised as it has good connectivity.  I find that polywire gets broken threads of the conductive wire if moved around a lot.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 07:46:48 pm »
Thanks for all your replys
So I  am on the look out for an electric fence,  any one got a link to a good one the fence only needs to be 100ft as it's a long thin field that's been newly stock fenced
I dont want to spend to much but dont want cheep rubbish either
    Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 09:24:24 pm »
Just need some polywire, plastic stakes, 3 lines of wire and stakes every 10 metres or so. Then an energiser and 12v battery. Your local agricultural store should have it all in stock and it’ll be much quicker than waiting for delivery for online order at this time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS