Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: predator chat - again  (Read 1477 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
predator chat - again
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:26:11 am »
So ... after the attempted break in into the egglu (still at a loss as to what managed to pull a wing through the door) we had a fox taking 3 ducks at dusk (just before their bedtime) and injuring a few others. I heard the bark nearby again a couple of nights later. Tonight on my last round I met a badger! My man thinks a badger killed our sitting duck last year, would they?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: predator chat - again
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:13:50 am »
Badger could easily kill a broody duck, why not?

We are actually quite lucky in the UK as pretty much we only have foxes and badgers to worry about (maybe weasels and pole cats).

I was reading about wildlife in turkey and they have - foxes, badgers, golden jackals, bears, wolves, lynx, caracals, hyenas, and used to have Panthers, Caspian tigers and Asian lions!
Now try to best that list!

My chickens I'm afraid only go out of the run when I m at home and actually outside with them as foxes come at day time nowadays. Spoke to the neighbour who said many years ago there used to be a badger set around the corner. I'm so happy theres no badgers nearby, however pretty they are I wouldn't like them next to my chicken coop!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 08:04:58 am »
Badgers are nasty so yes they would definitely kill a duck. My experience is they kill and leave the bodies whereas foxes have removed them and left only feathers  :rant:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:57:57 am »
Badgers will rip boards off huts to get in. They are very strong. They will also take bigger stuff like lambs. One once chased my son and his nephew down a footpath. That got them home on time.  :roflanim:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:56:04 am »
I used to keep call ducks in weldmesh cages (overnight, sleeping hut at the back.. badger tore the mesh door open, her only ducking missing and she gone crazy.
Last year I heard a strange noise up the lane, as I walked up I realised it was next to me, badger in the ditch talking to itself, but it came out of the ditch and coming towards me, I kept backing away, it was between me and home,  it eventually waddled down the lane. Shook me up a bit!
I'm on some American FB groups, lucky we don't have the bears, wolves, coyote, snakes etc, most of them carry guns when out seeing to their animals, or have had to run home fast!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS