Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suffolk cycle  (Read 1326 times)

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
Suffolk cycle
« on: April 26, 2020, 07:27:50 pm »
My neighbours Jacob got into last years batch of texel lambs around November and one lambed yesterday.
I also have a flock of Suffolks and its made me think I should just lamb everything outside around this time of year instead of in the shed in February as this year the weather was terrible until recently.

Can I put a tup in with Suffolks at the end of November or is that too late?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Suffolk cycle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 01:18:13 pm »
My tups went out end Nov last year.  I was fed up of scrabbling for grass and worrying about milk supplies. 

However I have no experience of tupping and lambing Suffolks this late.  My instinct says they would tup fine but I’ve no personal experience go back that up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 05:57:58 pm »
Many suffolks are lambed in march & april , if the flock does not want to sell well grown ram lambs but only shearlings  then this is the norm , you may get a few less lambs but the costs will be slashed

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 10:01:38 am »
Many suffolks are lambed in march & april , if the flock does not want to sell well grown ram lambs but only shearlings  then this is the norm , you may get a few less lambs but the costs will be slashed

And a lot less work.

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 02:01:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Next year I'll aim to lamb in April.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS