Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lambs - when to move  (Read 1881 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Ram lambs - when to move
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:17:33 pm »
I have ram lambs that are unbanded. When is it no longer “safe” for them to be with their Mums and sisters? They are already mounting other lambs (and each other), but then the ewe lambs do this too so I think this is part of growing up. I am not too sure on what age to separate all the lambs from the ewes either - I gather people do this at different times.

Also, I have a lonesome ram waiting for a pal. One of the ram lambs is going to be kept (will get him castrated by the vet) for company. At what age could we introduce them? In my head I was hoping I could stick all my ram lambs (a total of 14) in with the ram (either at, or after, weaning) but not sure this is feasible??

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Ram lambs - when to move
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 07:43:34 am »
To be safe I would wean them by early July but some might say wean earlier. I send my lambs to abattoir straight off the ewes and any ewes still with lambs on them by beginning of August are weaned- that gives them 6-7 weeks to dry off and get ready for tupping.

With regards to your other ram- get the ram lamb castrated, healed up and a good size, he needs to be able to stand up for himself if your ram pushes him about when first. introduced. You could run them as a group but pen them up tight with the mature ram for a day just so he can sort out that he’s boss without hurting them.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 08:37:30 am »
When were the lambs born? I would aim to wean when the youngest is around 3 months. The ewe lambs won't start to cycle till they get to around 40kg and the ewes won't start till aug/sept.

I would put the ram in with them now, he'll run around and checking them before wearing himself out and then settle. If he's used to them it'll make weaning easier. Just put him with the lambs when you wean, then later in the year when you separate the ewe and ram lambs (I'd do it in Aug), put him with the ram lambs. I've managed my rams like that for years.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 12:10:30 pm »
I'd been going to say much the same as bj_cardiff.  Depending on breed, if it's safe and works for you to put the tup in with the ewes and lambs now (or soon), do that, so he gets to know everyone and they him, then when you wean the ram lambs you just keep him with them.

The ingredients to when must the ram lambs come out are a) a bit of an age/fitness thing, b) time of year and what the weather is doing and c) breed, mostly of the ewes rather than the tup.

Ex-BH, with a commercial flock up on Hadrian's Wall, used to leave one group of ewes and lambs with a tup through the summer, just to see when the first lambs arrived.  Mostly that would be one or two ewes around mid-Feb (so tupped mid-late Sept), with a one-off lamb born one year on 4th Jan (so tupped Aug 10th).  Until, that is, we got a Charollais tup and started to bring some of his daughters into the flock.  After they reached maturity we had to start taking the tups out much earlier ;)

Until we had the Charollais crosses, some years the ewes would start chasing the tup early Oct; other years, usually when the summery weather continued longer, is might be the second half of October when the majority got active.

Any of the Dorset breeds will come to the tup at any time.

Some people tell you the ewes won't cycle when they are still lactating.  Some won't - but some will, though ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:12:48 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 12:14:44 pm »
As to the age at which the tup lambs get capable, definitely some might by 4 months (with a commercial type anyway, might be later with some of the hill / primitive types.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 10:37:28 am »
I put my male lambs in with the rams at weaning.  Non of the adult rams have ever seen the babies as threats.  If the field is short on grazing then a creep area for the lambs is made to give them a daily snack.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS