Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RIP Doris  (Read 1037 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
RIP Doris
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:39:28 am »
Hi all, thoughts please.
Sadly one of our rescue hens died last night, OH mainly sees to them, but as far as i know she was fine on Thursday, jumped up for her supper, last night (Friday)  she was very lethargic, comb pale, reddish out towards the edge, crop very squishy. OH said she was sluggish in the morning. They've been on layers pellets and occasionally whole soaked wheat.
Well feathered and looked fine up to yesterday, so it's been quick.
They were end of lay, heading into abbatoir, pulled from crates (with owners permission) about a year ago, so they've had a good year pecking about
But any idea of problem, not much to go on I know, wondered if they are short lived?,

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: RIP Doris
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 11:30:10 am »
I haven't found rescue hens any mroe short lived than pure to be honest. They are bred to be good layers so another good laying breed should have a similar lifespan.

Did you check her rear end?  Could she have been eggbound?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: RIP Doris
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:42:22 am »
I haven't seen her yet, might open her up later.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS