Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Movement questions  (Read 6302 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Movement questions
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:46:38 am »
hopefully someone can help me here as finding the internet info a bit confusing!

today i am collecting 2 x 6 week old piglets.

tomorrow i am due to take 2 of our tup lambs to the abbatoir.

i think this is ok becuase they are going to abbatoir - unless anyone knows different?

the bit i'm confused about is whether i can then allow a ram lamb (plus one ewe) onto our land on wednesday (today being sunday) to tup our girls?

many thanks
laura

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Movement questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:12:49 pm »
As I understand it you are on standstill once you bring animals onto the holding. The length of this standstill depends on the type of stock you bring on. You can keep adding to the stock and the standstill period just starts again.
The pigs arriving on Sunday would put you on standstill for 20 days the sheep arriving on Wednesday would be 6 days but the pig period overlaps this. You can't take the sheep off until the 20 days is up.
You're right about slaughter being an exception  please see this link ......  www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/movements/deer/documents/annexaa090713.pdf

None of which explains how it is that if I buy a sheep off my neighbour and put it on my field I'm on standstill,
if his sheep jumps over the wall and wanders around for a bit before I chase it back out again I'm not on standstill.

Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

waterhouse

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:43:36 pm »
None of which explains how it is that if I buy a sheep off my neighbour and put it on my field I'm on standstill,
if his sheep jumps over the wall and wanders around for a bit before I chase it back out again I'm not on standstill.

Hush or they'll start making new rules to cover it!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:55:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D :sheep:
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 05:18:49 pm »
Egglady,

Your lambs to the abattoir tomorrow will be absolutley fine, you can always move to slaughter - As confirmation moleskins has given you the link that says so. However MS is not quite correct on your standstill on the sheep.

You can also ALWAYS add stock to your holding, it simply restarts the clock on you moving anything OFF, except to slaughter.

So your piglets arriving today trigger a 6 day standstill on moving any sheep off  (except to slaughter) and a 20 day on moving any pigs off (except to Slaughter).  So you will have a sheep standstill til Saturday and a pig standstill til 20th November - standstill ends at the clock time they start, so if your pigs came onto your holding at say 2.12pm today, 6 day would end at 2.12pm on Saturday.

However on Wednesday when the ram arrives, he will restart the clock, so you have 6 further days before you can move sheep off.

You cannot move pigs off for 20 days after today (the day pigs came on).  Moving the ram on wednesday only creates 6 days on the pigs, which is shorter than the existing 20 days so that original dates holds.

Come back if the above is not clear, but don't panic you are fine with your proposals.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:31:24 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:58:50 pm »
Egglady,

Your lambs to the abattoir tomorrow will be absolutley fine, you can always move to slaughter - As confirmation moleskins has given you the link that says so. However MS is not quite correct on your standstill on the sheep.

You can also ALWAYS add stock to your holding, it simply restarts the clock on you moving anything OFF, except to slaughter.

So your piglets arriving today trigger a 6 day standstill on moving any sheep off  (except to slaughter) and a 20 day on moving any pigs off (except to Slaughter).  So you will have a sheep standstill til Saturday and a pig standstill til 20th November - standstill ends at the clock time they start, so if your pigs came onto your holding at say 2.12pm today, 6 day would end at 2.12pm on Saturday.

However on Wednesday when the ram arrives, he will restart the clock, so you have 6 further days before you can move sheep off.

You cannot move pigs off for 20 days after today (the day pigs came on).  Moving the ram on wednesday only creates 6 days on the pigs, which is shorter than the existing 20 days so that original dates holds.

Come back if the above is not clear, but don't panic you are fine with your proposals.

phew!  thanks oaklandpigs - that was what i thought, but then you read so much your head gets a wee bit muddled!  though the piglets seem to be thinking they'll just move themselves off as they keep trying to escape and havent yet 'found' their nice and warm straw bed inside thepig ark yet!  tell me they'll find it beofre too long and keep themselves warm and dry tonight?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »
dont worry pigs are not stupid warm bed of straw or the wet and wind. they will be under there bedding snoring.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:45:43 pm »
except in Scotland the standstill for sheep and goats is 13 days, not 6. Not sure where you are, but I guess tup is staying for more than two weeks?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »
except in Scotland the standstill for sheep and goats is 13 days, not 6. Not sure where you are, but I guess tup is staying for more than two weeks?

Hi Anke, yes  I think he'll be here 4 - 6 weeks so we should be fine.
and thanks everyone for your reassurances.....what would we do without our forum?!?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:45:55 pm »

Anke, thanks, should have covered that. 

Of course diseases act differently in different countries, so one metre north of the boarder and you need 13 days - one EU many rules ! ;D
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 04:50:25 pm »
However, a breeding tup in Scotland does not trigger a standstill.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »
aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
nothing else to say really.....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »
well try and get different breeds of lady goats to see the beau of their choice (and breed) and observe the standstill rules... in Scotland!!!! You need sponges, no other way!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:41:51 pm »
LOL!

would love goats but hubby steadfastly sticking to his guns and saying no....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS