Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphan Lamb - what to do?  (Read 1714 times)

LabSheep

• Joined Apr 2020
Orphan Lamb - what to do?
« on: April 22, 2020, 09:10:38 pm »
Hi,

Your advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 30 day old orphan lamb, he is kept separately in a lovely pen with a hut, and can currently see and play with the other lambs (with their mums) through the fence and when I feed him, I let him out.
I am due to move them to my other field, where my hoggets are. I will be dividing the field up. Do I put the lamb with the hoggets or lambs/ewes?

I am still bottle feeding the lamb, and as I said I bring him out to play with the other lambs, and obviously the ewe's head butt him away... so what is my best option for the little fella's wellbeing...  I was hoping not do create another pen for him.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Orphan Lamb - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 06:03:12 am »
Put him with the others. I put my orphan lambs in the comunal pen with all of the ewes and lambs from about a week old. The other lambs have to learn not to suckle from ewes that aren't their mothers from 2 days old, so a lamb that isn't trying to suckle will get the message to keep out of the ewes was very quickly! If you have concerns make a 'creep hurdle' so the lambs can get into a pen but the ewes cannot. It works well to protect the orphan lamb, but the other lambs always end up going in too and the ewes get upset that they can't mother them!

At 30 days old I would put him out with the others during the day and bring in at night. I would be worried that he'd sleep next to the gate on his own, rather than follow the flock (as he's not been kept with them). After a week or so he should intergate with the other lambs in the flock and you have to call him for feeds. I would leave out overnight with them then.

Others have warned about bottle fed lambs having access to creep and grass. I have never had any problems with bloat. I feed mine at aprox 4 hour intervals throughout the day and 350ml a feed, always at room temprature rather than warm.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:10:42 am »
hi
i have one this year shes been kept with the flock only 2 weeks old

she is better off with them and she stays out in the field with the rest of the flock

they all have access in and out of a poly tunnel but rarely use it

i feed her 4 times a day but i often drive by the field and she is frollocking with the other lambs

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:44:38 pm »
Put him with the others.

If you have concerns make a 'creep hurdle' so the lambs can get into a pen but the ewes cannot. It works well to protect the orphan lamb, but the other lambs always end up going in too and the ewes get upset that they can't mother them!

At 30 days old I would put him out with the others during the day and bring in at night. I would be worried that he'd sleep next to the gate on his own, rather than follow the flock (as he's not been kept with them). After a week or so he should intergate with the other lambs in the flock and you have to call him for feeds. I would leave out overnight with them then.

This ^
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS