Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Breeds  (Read 4275 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Chicken Breeds
« on: April 21, 2020, 03:00:33 pm »
Has anyone got any experience of keeping Minorcas, Black Leghorn or Old English Pheasant Fowl?

Good layers?  Flighty?  Hardy ......for the Welsh hills?

My daughter loves trying different breeds and has her eye on one of the above. If we can get hatching eggs that is?????????

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Chicken Breeds
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 05:18:49 pm »
No doubt some one here will have kept at least one of the breeds, but have you tried contacting breed clubs yet ?  I'm sure they would be only too happy to assess for your circumstances.

[I'd tell you what 'they' say in my various books on chicken breeds, but they're all packed away in boxes - who knows which box ?! ]

Quack and Squeak

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 05:47:47 pm »
i've got white legorns
they're a bit crazy and very untame but they lay really well

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 07:17:06 pm »
I have Derbyshire redcap (bantam but its bigger than most other bantam breeds) which is very similar to the pheasant fowl except for different type of comb. Not really flighty. Not aggressive.
Minircas are very similar to leghorn which is the best egg layer I have ever had.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:30:37 pm »
Leghorns in our UK experience are great layers, can fly well so need high fences and don't go broody if you take them off the nest quickly. But here they have what they call Black Gasconnes, which are actually French Black Leghorns and they do go broody to the extent of being suicidal. They are also very friendly and want cuddles. They are not hardy due to their combs which lose heat and need vaseline in Winter, but they stand high temperatures well- they originate from Italy.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 06:48:49 am »
I have a couple of Barbezieux, which are sometimes described as basically tall Minorcas. Got them as hatching eggs from Hay on Wye last September, and the pullet started laying in Feb, so hardy enough to grow through last Welsh winter with no issues. Not flighty. Eggs have settled down now to a regular medium sized; she started with a lot of double yolkers, 90+ grams, also with no issues. The cockerel is enormous, but very well behaved, so far!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 08:29:14 am »
I have a couple of Barbezieux, which are sometimes described as basically tall Minorcas. Got them as hatching eggs from Hay on Wye last September, and the pullet started laying in Feb, so hardy enough to grow through last Welsh winter with no issues. Not flighty. Eggs have settled down now to a regular medium sized; she started with a lot of double yolkers, 90+ grams, also with no issues. The cockerel is enormous, but very well behaved, so far!
How are they doing now? They started laying quite soon right?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 08:42:23 am »
yes - 5 months or thereabouts. That contrasts with 7-11 I've had to wait for my other breeds!

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 07:03:19 am »
I used to keep minorcars good layers not to jumpy and ther eggs sold very well on ebay

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 02:11:22 pm »
Thanks all.

My daughter has decided to go for Minorcas and the secretary of the breed club is sending her some eggs.

Should arrive early next week.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 05:27:37 pm »
That's great - especially with eggs on the way in the post.  Is there a special label for couriers/postie that says "Eggs - you really do need to handle with extreme care"  ?

(I was personally hoping your daughter might have chosen the OE Pheasant. While I've never actually kept a chicken in my life, I'm a bit of a sucker for the 'wilder' types due to the various "game" breeds strutting about all over the place where I was brought up.  Hopefully a few more years in me yet so maybe "one day"! )

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 07:19:42 pm »
That's great - especially with eggs on the way in the post.  Is there a special label for couriers/postie that says "Eggs - you really do need to handle with extreme care"  ?
I'm not sure you want to write eggs on a parcel - we just write fragile. But no eggs in case someone shakes them for the sake of it. They will throw the parcels around anyway. Most of them are delivered with no problems.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 10:08:12 pm »
Part of the reason we've gone for the Minorcas is that folks have said that they aren't too flighty. So not too wild we hope.
We used to keep Friesian Fowl and although we liked them they were a bit troublesome at times.......roosting in the oak trees, laying 6ft up in the conifer hedge and then sitting the eggs if we didn't find them, flying over the hedges into the lane .....
So arobwk .... the Friesian Fowl maybe for you!

It's just next day postage as far as I know and postage delayed until Monday to avoid any delay caused by the weekend.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 10:50:11 pm »
Maybe !

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 11:09:11 pm »
I let the chickens out at 7am yesterday. At 9am was brewing my espresso, looked outside the kitchen window - fox. Stupid chickens instead of running away and making noise were actually staring. My sons Derbyshire Redcap cockerel was coming towards the fox!!! Luckily I saw the scene and quickly scared him away and locked the chickens. Unfortunately I can only let them out of their run when I'm doing work in the garden or when theres lots of people at the allotment over the fence...
This is the reason why I liked leghorn- they are flighty! And fast.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS