Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Care after Caesarean section  (Read 1728 times)

Muddy Wellies

• Joined Dec 2019
Care after Caesarean section
« on: April 21, 2020, 09:53:31 am »
Hey everyone - after a ewe has had a C-section, how long have you kept here in afterwards?
Thanks

PS Live twins! Ewe doing well

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Care after Caesarean section
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 10:28:58 am »
I kept my c section ewe in until her stitches came out several weeks later, as it wasn’t easy to catch her in the field once she went out. Recovery was pretty straight forward- she had a week of daily pen strep injections, cleansed normally, reared her twins no problem. But I should have culled her- I took a chance and put her back in lamb after hearing conflicting advice on whether to tup her again. She had a great set of twins but died from a haemorrhage 6 hours after lambing- we think there was a weakness in her uterus from the stitches. So as long as your ewe rears her twins I would cull her at weaning.

Muddy Wellies

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 11:24:42 am »
Thanks for your speedy reply - much appreciated!
My ewe is quite easy to catch (bucket obsessed) so I think I'm more worried about other sheep barging into her and doing damage.

Really sorry to hear about your bad experience with your ewe haemorrhaging - what bad luck. I will bear that in mind come the Autumn.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 02:21:33 pm »

Our C sections have been going out as it is very dry. Can you make her a small pen away from the others?

Was this the one with the prolapse?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 12:44:03 pm »

if you want to keep the ewe and not have lambs after a caeser get the vet to tie off the ovaries. the ewe shouldnt get pregnant again even if out with the ram

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Muddy Wellies

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:36:32 pm »

Our C sections have been going out as it is very dry. Can you make her a small pen away from the others?

Was this the one with the prolapse?

Thanks Harmony! I let her out today and she's been fine, eveb a tad frisky! A pen outdoors for her is a good idea

No not the one with the prolapse - you've got a good memory!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 01:26:54 pm »
We've had two C sections over the years - first failed to get in lamb the foloowing year; second raised her lambs then just faded away and had to eb PTS.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS