Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: would like a small holding  (Read 1201 times)

Mark lennett

• Joined Apr 2020
would like a small holding
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:16:00 am »
Hi everybody, my name is mark and looking to start up a small holding,I have previous farm experience as I was brought up in the country,and had jobs then,working on many different farms,always wanted a small holding I could call my own,but never could of afforded it,I would like to start of by growing vegetables,and may be a few chickens,and see where it went from there,I'm use to hard work and working in all sorts of weather, that's never bothered me,the problem I always have,is starting these things up,as some of them are really dear,and would never be able to afford this,I would like to rent something cheapish,till I could get going,but then it's finding somewhere,me and my partner work full time,but still don't earn that greater wage,I'm a country lad,and just need that opportunity  to get going,I work hard and always put great effort in to what I do,nothing more would give me great pleasure in producing  my own crop and maybe sell a bit as well.thanks mark

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: would like a small holding
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 06:23:03 pm »
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. 
Right this minute I'm merely going ask where you are located and whether you are prepared to relocate. 
I can't personally offer much advice or suggestions on how to get started at low cost (land rental etc etc), but someone might and it might help if everyone knew where you are and whether you would be happy to seek opportunities elsewhere in the UK.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 08:06:08 am »
best place to start is large garden or allotment.  Ask elderly people locally if you could go their garden and share veg?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 04:29:50 pm »
Another option if you haven't the money to do the whole thing alone is a community with smallholding. Quite  few about now, check out UK Cohousing and Diggers and Dreamers.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS